Re: [epp-dev] Minimum BREE for EPP Neon

On 31 Jul 2015, at 12:45, Mike Milinkovich wrote:

On 31/07/2015 6:39 AM, Kaloyan Raev wrote:

OK. I see...

What about the OpenJDK? It is open source. If it is possible to build a suitable JRE binary distribution out of the open source code, will be there any legal issue to be redistributed by the EPP?

I'm not sure. That would require a deep analysis of OpenJDK, and its dependencies.

There are three issues with OpenJDK to solve:

A) is it open source

B) can it be distributed from eclipse

C) where to find an openjdk distribution; and who will maintain it ?

For A - then yes, OpenJDK is open source and mainly licensed under GPL with Classpath exception(s).

For B - I actually think this should be possible today in similar fashion we ship SWT bindings to GPL binaries for GTK on linux platform - I think OpenJDK would fall in the bucket of "works with" and as long as there are no hard dependencies to the distributed JDK we should be good.

C - is probably the biggest issue since afaik there are no officially supported builds of openjdk that works on all platforms similar to Oracle and one that comes with regular security updates etc.

/max