Re: [epp-dev] Minimum BREE for EPP Neon

> From: Lars Vogel <lars.vogel@xxxxxxxxxxx>

> To: Eclipse Packaging Project <epp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>,
> Date: 07/30/2015 04:03 PM
> Subject: Re: [epp-dev] Minimum BREE for EPP Neon
> Sent by: epp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
>
> AFAIK every project (in this case EPP) can set its BREE
> independently. As EPP is kind of special as it consumes others. This
> kind of forces them to pick the hightest BREE of their components.

This is not true. And there have been plenty of exceptions in past releases (if not every past release).

But, most of all, I'm writing to ask please do not call this thing you are taking about "BREE". BREE is an OSGi construct, and refers to the minimum Java version required to use that bundle ... in "isolation", so to speak ... that is, as a "component" -- not necessarily how *we* ship that bundle.

What you are talking about here is the *Product* Execution Environment ... and is entirely and Eclipse construct ... the minimum Java version to run a product. If it so happens someone uses a lower Java version than required by some bundles, then those bundles simply would not function. And, there are many cases where this is ok (or, has been ok) if not out right desired. Such as, to give a simple example where it was deemed ok (though not desired); in Kepler and Luna, I believe, you could run the product at a "lower" Java version, and you simply would not have help available (since Jetty required higher).

The decision on BREE levels and Product Execution Environment are related, but, not a direct absolute relationship. Plus, in the past, we have never decided the EPP level from a "top down" point of view -- a whole year in advance ... but, simply took stock of what projects were doing, and at some point the package maintainers decided what they wanted the minimum Product Execution Environment to be.

I do understand, it is (probably) that "past" that people are trying to change ... it would make things so much easier for committers to justify increasing a bundle BREE level, if EPP Product Execution Environment was already decided to increase. I just thought it's be best to be explicit about it.

I think people have made good arguments on both sides of the issue -- except for one case, and that was the one that implied 25% of our user population was "insignificant" in this decision (not to mention, that same thread assuming that those that "submit error reports" somehow magically form a representative sample of our users -- that seems unlikely, and I've not seen that case made, if someone things they are.

But, yes, should move to cross-project list, with corrected terminology please -- and perhaps with a clarified statement of "what problem you are trying to solve".