Re: [epp-dev] Minimum BREE for EPP Neon

July 30, 2015 2:35 PM
Just for my understanding: now that m2e and Jetty moved to Java 8, how
could for example an Java EPP not move to Java 8? Shipping older
versions of the project? Or by kicking Maven and the Help System?

Well that's the big flip-side to my objection. Personally I find it a little bit disappointing that those projects, both of which are critical to many of the EPP packages, have "quietly" made this move without discussing with EPP first. It feels very much like EPP's hand being forced, doesn't it?
You're right on, Lars, that the options are limited and with drawbacks, now that they have moved. Unless m2e and Jetty could be convinced to either roll back their decisions or provide Java7-compatible branches for EPP inclusion...

Eric

July 30, 2015 2:30 PM
I agree with this.
Even though Oracle no longer publicly supports a JRE does not mean that it is stopped being used instantaneously, or that some corporation won't be able to get fixes for it.
Also other vendors are not necessarily stopping the maintenance either.