[epp-dev] Extending Mars Milestones Error Reporting for M3 - new visualizations available

Hi package maintainers,

since M2 the Mars Milestones Error Reporter is part of the Eclipse Modeling package (580 downloads) and the Eclipse for Committers package (unpublished/ 0 downloads). It’s also available from the project’s milestone update site but not publicly announced. In the past weeks we got ~230 users reporting ~6.000 errors of which ~1500 errors were reported for Eclipse Mars 4.5.0 (see [1] for the exact numbers).

So far the Eclipse integration of the error reporter seems to run smoothly (i.e., does not cause error reports itself nor were bug reports raised). On the server side we set up an automated duplicate detection to make a first assessment of arriving new reports and we are (at the moment) down to ~25 new bug reports to investigate per day.

Based on the lessons learned from M2, we added means how committers can request further information from a reporter, e.g., by using Mylyn-style notifications (when a bug is tagged with “needinfo”) or make reporters aware that the issue they have is fixed etc. See [2] for some screenshots and a more in-depth description.

Allow me a short shout out to the modeling guys, in particular the team around Eclipse Sirius. They are doing a great job reviewing exceptions occurring in their product and plugins, tracking down NullPointer-, ClassCastExceptions, providing feedback, and suggesting improvements. Thanks for your support.

For M3 I’d like to extend the number of packages to slowly increase traffic and to get more reports. Personally, I’d like to see more coverage of PDE and JDT as these are the core features of the IDE, but if other package maintainers would like to take responsibility for yet uncovered packages / projects like PHP, Automotive, or Webtools/JEE, I’d happily support the error reporting added to these EPP packages as well to start collecting statistics for these modules during the next milestone.

FWIW,
We put together a snapshot of the current error reports and visualized it as code cities at [3]. Maybe you find this a convenient way to see whether there are error reports affecting your plugins.
To use it, go to [3], select the package prefix you are interested in (e.g. org.eclipse.core) at the bottom left combo box, select the „times mentioned in an error report“ in the bottom right combo box and browser your "city“. The deeply red and orange buildings are those you should lookout for:

The visualization is a bit experimental and best to use with Firefox. Chrome should work as well but may have trouble rendering some cities. If so, please let me know by email. Thanks.

Best,
Marcel

--
Codetrails GmbH