Re: [epp-dev] Indigo RC1 packages

On 5/19/11 8:53 PM, Igor Fedorenko wrote:
m2e contribution towards Indigo/RC2 will be properly signed using
Eclipse certificate. We track this as Bug 339970.

I've opened Bug 346563 to track wrong bundle and provider names in
org.eclipse.m2e.usagedata and we'll address it for RC2.

As for logging, this requires some explanation.

When m2e is dormant, it obviously does not log anything and I
double-checked that at least on linux x86_64 m2e is not eagerly
activated. We fixed two problems with eager activation since M6 (342232
and 340328, to be specific), but if you still see m2e activated eagerly
and unnecessary, please submit new bugreport in m2e bugzilla and we'll
try out best to address it before RC2.

When m2e is activated it does use slf4j for logging purposes. However,
as we explained on this list last time this topic has been brought up,
something else, i.e. not m2e, pulls in ch.qos.logback.slf4j bundles and
configures it to print debug log messages to console (see [1]). There is
nothing we can do about it from m2e end to stop this. We offered to
implement proper slf4j support at framework level [2], but this proposal
did not receive any support from any Eclipse core committers. The only
other solution I can think of is to block ch.qos.logback.slf4j from
getting included in java epp distro, but I am not sure how to implement
this, if at all possible.

[1] http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/epp-dev/msg01378.html
[2] http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/cross-project-issues-dev/msg05659.html

I'm using the 64-bit OS X Java package. I started it pointed at an existing workspace with some Java projects (never used m2e before). Haven't seen any Console logging during initialization (including an apparent full workspace rebuild), but I do have m2e Updating Indexes task in the Progress view. Doesn't this mean that m23 is being activated without user action?

Eric

Back to the top