Re: [epp-dev] Testautomation for EPP

I’ll reserve judgment before taking a deeper look at Jubula. I’m planning on taking a look at the entire EPP build cycle and would like to see automated testing as part of that, just as we do with other projects. If Jubula is the right technology for that, then I’m all for it.

From: epp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:epp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of David M Williams
Sent: Thursday, May 05, 2011 9:54 AM
To: Eclipse Packaging Project
Subject: Re: [epp-dev] Testautomation for EPP

+1

Sounds very interesting, very useful. I assume once people see it in EPP packages ... they'd be tempted to use it in many projects at Eclipse?

Is this a "replacement" for the Platform's "test framework", or (I'd guess) more of a wrapper, to it and other test runners?

> (which means you just tell us what your are doing now
> to test your EPP package). Smoke test will be
> * Installation tests (unzipping/untarring)
> * file permission tests
> * basic functions: welcome screen, online help, project creation/deletion
> * rough check if all features are installed
> * Installation of additional features and Software Update
> * whatever is needed by a particular EPP package (you tell us)

You probably already know this, but in case not, there are some "common" package testing recommendations that might serve as a rough starting point, at http://wiki.eclipse.org/EPP/Package_Testing

Thanks,

Inactive hide details for Felix Ziesel ---05/05/2011 04:43:08 AM---Hi EPP Team, I work as Test Consultant for BREDEX. We maintaFelix Ziesel ---05/05/2011 04:43:08 AM---Hi EPP Team, I work as Test Consultant for BREDEX. We maintain the functional testing

I work as Test Consultant for BREDEX. We maintain the functional testing
tool Eclipse Jubula (http://www.eclipse.org/jubula). Jubula is part of
the Indigo release.

We'd like to support the EPP team by writing automated smoke tests with
Jubula. We talked to Markus about this topic and came to the conclusion
that this would be helpful to the package maintainers.

The idea is to provide basic testing for all packages and more specific
tests for packages we are familiar with or which provides us with some
sort of test specification (which means you just tell us what your are
doing now to test your EPP package). Smoke test will be
* Installation tests (unzipping/untarring)
* file permission tests
* basic functions: welcome screen, online help, project creation/deletion
* rough check if all features are installed
* Installation of additional features and Software Update
* whatever is needed by a particular EPP package (you tell us).

Of course you are free to specify your own tests with Jubula. We would
be glad to help you getting up to speed.

For the time being we would run the smoke tests on our internal test
infrastructure and publish the result on the Eclipse web site.

After Indigo we would try to move the tests to test instances provided
by the foundation on their servers.

We plan to work on this with 2 people, but not full time. We have a
budget for .5 persons :-) until end of 2012. If this work will be
successful I'm sure we will continue working on it.

We have some tests ready. If there are no -1 on our proposal we will
create a Bugzilla entry and contribute this initial tests.

Thanks and Regards,
Felix Ziesel

--
BREDEX GmbH
Mauernstr. 33

Tel.: +49-531-24330-0
Fax:  +49-531-24330-99
http: www.bredex.de

Geschäftsführer: Hans-J. Brede, Achim Lörke, Ulrich Obst
Amtsgericht Braunschweig HRB 2450

[attachment "smime.p7s" deleted by David M Williams/Raleigh/IBM] _______________________________________________
epp-dev mailing list
epp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx