Re: [epp-dev] EPP packages and the configuration problem

Let's go through the scenario from a user with a shared install point of view:

A Windows 7 user downloaded an EPP package months ago, unzipped it into the program directory as a regular user (I was told that this is possible). After this initial unzip this directory and its content is read-only for this regular user, only an administrator is able to write and change the content from this point on. (Again, maybe I am wrong but up to this point I do not have the environment to test it.)

The user starts the new Eclipse and tries to install things from the Helios release. Since it is in read-only mode, the Helios repository isn't visible in the UI. Hmm, okay, not ideal but that's how it is. He then adds a new p2 repository to his configuration and installs something on top of his read-only installation. The install operation seems to finish successfully, but after the required restart of Eclipse the new software is not there. Very bad. That's because of the configuration problem in the packages and it is only visible if the package is read-only. If he would decide to do the update as administrator (i.e. with the Eclipse install being writeable / not in shared-install mode), then the additional missing bundles would be pulled from the Helios repository, bundles.info and the available bundles in the plugins directory are in sync again and everything works hopefully.

Now switching from the install additional software to the *update* use case. Again, I start with a read-only RCP package from the Helios release in June. As a regular user there is now way of updating it, but if you are doing it as an administrator it works and the additional slf4j bundles are on your disk after the update (even if they are *not* included in an EPP feature dependency). But again you have to educate the users that they need to be a Windows admin in order to do that.

That's all based on my own experience, tests, and knowledge so far. Maybe the p2 team can jump in and confirm what I wrote above. The point is that there is no need to include the slf4j bundles (or other optional bundles) in the SR1 packages because the new packages work without those bundles and they are generated with the correct configuration data. In the update scenario it looks to me that it doesn't make any difference whether the bundles are listed as required or not.
The EPP transition feature that I am providing as a test in the p2 repository below can be installed explicitly and then uninstalled and will remove the additional slf4j bundles. That would be a clean-up procedure if someone complains about too many log entries in the updated package.

Regards, Markus