Re: [epp-dev] EPP - RC3 build available

Markus Knauer wrote:
The 'story' behind this is that I didn't (cannot) follow all Mac developments, but the week before EclipseCon I talked to some people inside and outside our company and they told me that the old carbon build won't work at all on the newer machines with a newer OS version. At this point I was talk that cocoa "should run" on all newer Macs, especially the 32-bit version because it should run on both, 64 and 32 bit architectures. And in order to limit the number of packages (build time, space on the download servers, web page cluttering) it seemed to be the best decision to use macosx|carbon|32 as the new build for EPP.

It appears that this decision may not have been the best. The topic of
64-bit OS X builds of the packages has come up in at least two different
newsgroup threads already. The issue is that apparently you can't run
the 32-bit packages with the Java 6 JVM on OS X, so Mac users are stuck
using Java 5 to run Eclipse. That is an unacceptable situation, in my
opinion.
I've asked the newsgroup participants to come here to discuss and/or
enter Bugzilla about it.

Eric