From: Markus Knauer [mailto:mknauer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, April 22, 2009 9:00 AM
To: Gabe O'Brien
Cc: Wayne Beaton; Gabe O'Brien; ian.skerrett@xxxxxxxxxxx; Nathan Gervais; peter.friese@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Minutes from EPP telephone call

Hi *,

the attached ZIP archive contains two projects containing a feature and a branding plugin project (that contains the .product file, too). My main problem is the creation of the necessary p2 repositories without importing *every* dependency into my workspace, but in the end it is possible to create a new repository based on the .product, feature and plugin and use this in order to install a new RCP package from it. Be aware that this is a very rough and not yet completed example, but it seems to work, at least on my computer.

Prerequisites: I used the last I-build (I20090416-1053) and installed the RCP Delta Pack.

After importing the two projects from the attached ZIP archive you can use the product export wizard from the org.eclipse.epp.packages.rcp/rcp.product file and export it for multiple platforms and generate a metadata repository (on my computer into directory /tmp/test). At the end I see some error messages from PDE but the repository is available at /tmp/test/repository/ anyway.

Now you should be able to use the p2 director to create a new "package" installation somewhere on your computer, e.g. with this command:

eclipse -nosplash -consoleLog \
  -application org.eclipse.equinox.p2.director.app.application \
  -metadataRepositories file:///tmp/test/repository/,http://download.eclipse.org/releases/galileo/ \
  -artifactRepositories file:///tmp/test/repository/,http://download.eclipse.org/releases/galileo/ \
  -installIU org.eclipse.epp.package.product.rcp \
  -destination /tmp/epp/eclipse \
  -profile epp.package.rcp \
  -profileProperties org.eclipse.update.install.features=true \
  -bundlepool /tmp/epp/eclipse \
  -p2.os linux -p2.ws gtk -p2.arch x86_64 \
  -roaming -vmargs -Declipse.p2.mirrors=false -Declipse.p2.data.area=/tmp/epp/eclipse/p2

Make sure that you list all the required repositories (Galile + your own) and modify the p2.[os,ws,arch] parameters.

On my machine I set the execution bits on the eclipse executables manually, perhaps there is an error somewhere in the export from the zip archive.

Regards,
Markus