[epl-discuss] EPL-2.0 + GPL secondary license

Hi folks

I'm an administrator at Clojars, the Clojure community's open source Maven repository. Clojure and the Clojure ecosystem are heavy users of EPL-1.0. We're looking at EPL-2.0 and in particular its secondary license which would allow Clojure libraries to have GPL compatibility.

I've done a bit of searching on the mailing list threads about this, and have a few questions.

1. What exactly does someone have to do to include the GPL compatibility clause? It looks like they have to add this to somewhere in the project? It's not clear to me where the statement in Appendix A should live? Is it added to the included license file with the secondary licenses filled out, or would it stand separately in the README (for example)?

"This Source Code may also be made available under the following
Secondary Licenses when the conditions for such availability set forth
in the Eclipse Public License, v. 2.0 are satisfied: {name license(s),
version(s), and exceptions or additional permissions here}."

2. What is the legal impact of adding a secondary GPL license? Is this the same as dual licensing, or is this different? What additional restrictions or benefits does this give to someone who added a secondary license?

I know the license has just come out, but it seems like these could be good questions to add to the FAQ at some point?

Thanks, Daniel Compton.

Back to the top