Re: [epl-discuss] Status of generated code regarding "Derivative Works"

>  if you ever used a template that came with the office suite, did you bother reading through the EULA if it mentions how its licensed?

If the template was used to produce a critical asset in a valuable acquisition, you bet I have. Many, many times. I have also required clean-room re-implementations of such assets in many cases and blacklisted the use of development tools. It's a very expensive process fixing licensing issues because the user "expected" a default right that wasn't actually granted them. I much prefer and recommend the use of tools and templates that make clear what they intend in their licenses.

> Doing so, I fear that by getting rid of one issue we’d open a Pandora’s box of all other similar questions

Or we capture the entire class with a statement.

This class involves any tool which takes input from the user of the tool and generates output as a result of that input which may contain snippets of the tool itself embedded in the output. Examples include image and sound generators, code generators, code refactorers or linters, VLSI layout and logic synthesis engines, compilers, linkers, optimizers, scientific modeling platforms, encoders and codecs, level generators for games, document editors with stock graphics, fonts, etc., etc. etc....

It is a large and common class of software. In almost all cases the developer EXPECTS that the license of the generated object is solely affected by the license of the input description. The developer may not even be able to discern if the tool uses only a mathematical transform, in which case there can likely be no claim that the tool author has any copyright on the output object, or whether the tool injects crafted snippets for given patterns of input which may themselves be under copyright of the tool's author. For instance, a compiler may see a pattern in the input source code and directly inject a non-trivial template of executable code which is expressive, parameterized by input file. The tool author could conceivably make a claim that the output file is a derivative or combined work.

A statement in the EPL2 that requires the tool to notify the user when the tool author intends generated objects to be derivative works could stop future trolling by the tool author. This is not a new problem. See the Bison license and the license of GCC for examples.

I think most authors of tool input would agree that the expected behavior is that tools which process input and generate output objects do not claim copyright on the generated object and any other behavior is a relative oddity. So to be explicit I think the license should clearly state that this is the intent rather that wait for case law to establish the default later (and possibly go horribly wrong the other way forcing an emergency EPL2.1).

I am not confident that I can even come close to constructing any kind of legally solid statement that encapsulates this intent, not being a lawyer and all. I'm hoping someone more skilled than I in this area might have suggestions on what such a statement might look like.