[epf-dev] EPF Manual

I must be doing something wrong in attempting to communicate with the EPF developer community.  I have sent the following text and file multiple times to the epf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx list but it does not seem to get through.  I have noticed that the mailing list is mostly used for coordination purposes.  The wiki seems to be used for the practices and I am not quite sure how to send inputs concerning the EPF Composer itself.

I have written a manual for the EPF Composer, containing installation and configuration instructions, tutorials and a user manual.  It is a draft version, created from the help files and from the experience gathered while experimenting with the application.

One point bothered me in the EPF Composer.  I would have found it more natural to have the Plug-ins split into two different types: Method Plug-ins and a Process Plug-ins.  It does not seem natural, once the subject area has been nicely decomposed into an hierarchical model with sub-areas having their own plug-ins and content packages, to have to have processes in one of these plug-ins access the method content in the other plug-ins.  The need for the processes to use the services of an outside service, i.e. a default configuration, to be able to access the content in the other plug-ins, makes it even more convoluted.  It would be more logical to separate out the processes code from the method content plug-in into a process plug-in type and move/copy the code from the configuration’s "Plug-in and Package" selection over to this new plug-in type so that the process by its very nature can access other method content plug-ins/packages.  The Configuration would then no longer have the hybrid functions of both providing access assistance to processes and configuration for publishing.  It would seem to be a cleaner separation: the method content plug-in provides static method content, the process plug-in provides processes and configuration provides configurations for publishing.

It seems that the authors of EPF Practices have made the same observation, since they have created a method plug-in with the name of "Process", accessing content packages in the "Practice" method content plug-in.

Regards,

Bjorn

Bjorn Tuft