[epf-dev] Working outside in the dark.

Jim,

I am working (ever so slowly) on plug-ins to cover:

MIL-HDBK-881 WORK BREAKDOWN STRUCTURE
MIL-HDBK-171 WORK BREAKDOWN STRUCTURE ELEMENTS FOR SOFTWARE
IEEE 12207 Software Life Cycle Processes
ISO 14764 Software Maintenance
The software support services model out of C3M

All that to role up under our requirements to work under DEF(AUST)5664A
(which steals from 881).

882 (I am not worried about DO178B as much as the process elements are
covered by 12207 via the FAA software assurance stack and simply scope
the Hazard Analysis aspects of IEEE 1012 (the depth of rigor and
practice is more handbook etc)

Also, I have started a coffee time port of http://www.opfro.org/ (hoping
to pass that to EPF community as the owner/coordinator, Dr Firebrand,
has emailed me to say he is keen for it to be ported).  I have been
working on the approach to translate OPF framework to SPEM and it has,
to date, been the most straight forward of the ports.  The others I
seems to be tearing down and reworking because it isn't apparent how to
design a truly reusable plugin from scratch despite the intent that
plugins are to be re-used (or by their nature re-useable).  I am working
them all at the same time because I am trying to make each one decouple
enough to stand on their own, but also to work together cohesively when
building process models from them.  Slow work.

Most of the examples at the EPF site are quite shallow and more or less
might see only one layer added.  Examples like TOGAF are not really
reusable as much as they are tailorable - a slightly different intent.

The real test is when you try to draw them up into your "real" process
model.  So, the absence of heuristics in the community for designing
plug-ins for re-use, rather than the so-called agile model (which means
churning, throwing away, churning, tearing hair out, epiphany, despair,
churn) means a steep learning curve.  Begs the question, when are we
getting away from point and click instuction on how to use the tool and
get to a book on the real problem? (hint)

The upshot, we have an internal process framework that drives our
process and lifecycle modelling and all the bits above need to fit into
that internal model (which I am also tooling into EPF).

Don't fret though, I still get out on the town occasionally lol

Cheers,
Ray

signature database 4329 (20090812) __________

http://www.eset.com