RE: [epf-dev] epf installation

Richard,

I am still stuck.  The  http://www.eclipse.org/epf/general/getting_started.php does not have any information about how to install epf and related practices.

As said, the first steps are easy, unzip and double-click and epf comes up.  But then the troubles start:

You say: "In order to open these libraries, simply unzip the *library*.zip file in your local file system".

Let us have a look at the downloads:
  1. Eclipse Process Framework (EPF) Downloads:  EPF Composer
  2. EPF Wiki:   Download EPF Wiki releases, milestone builds
  3. EPF Practices:  Download EPF Practices library and published Web site (including ABRD practice).
  4. OpenUP:  Download OpenUP library and published Web site, plus these published Web sites: OpenUP/DSDM and OpenUP/ABRD.
  5. Scrum:  Download Scrum library and published Web site
  6. XP: Download XP library and published Web site
  7. Method Authoring Method for Eclipse Practices Library:  Download MAM EPL library and published Web site
Number one is the easy one - epf is up and running.
Number two - let us leave that for later
Number three  EPF Practices: Contains three files (a) Library:  epf_practices_library-1.5.0.1-20090227.zip, (b) Published Web site: epf_practices_published-1.5.0.1-20090227.zip and
(c) ABRD published Web site: abrd_published-1.5-20090227.zip plus Bugzilla.  Is it correct that you are saying that I have to copy and unzip these three libraries when you "In order to open these libraries, simply unzip the *library*.zip file in your local file system".  Let me proceed to see what then happens:  I copy and unzip the three files under the epf-composer folder.  The (c) appears to have most but not all files in common with (a) and I choose the options not to let ABRD files overwrite the files from the (a).  All these elements must be part of an installation description in my eyes.  I should sweat in panic already since I am fumbling in the dark.

Then, next step: " and point Composer to open the library.xmi file."  In practice, I try it out.  First I have to find THE "library.xmi file".  I go to FIle->Open->Method Library and by default it points to my C disk with my ËPF\Method Libraries\Library1.  OK, there is no such thing.  I then use Windows file system to search for a "library.xmi file" under the epf-composer folder.  I find one in the \EPF_Practices folder.  I point the application towards it.  Then comes the cryptic message: "The library is not writable".  Was nun kleiner Mann?  What is the recommended way forward?  The composer tells me that I have the option of skipping it or to "Copy to create a writable copy ... ".  What am I to do?  Try out all options untill I have explored the limits of the universe of combinatorial mathematics?

Or much better, could someone write instructions how to install epf - or rather the processes.  That would be great progress.

Thanks,

Bjorn

Bjorn Tuft

Email: bjorn.tuft@xxxxxxxxx /  bjorn.tuft@xxxxxxxxx

Mobile: +33 688 841 813 / Skype: +33 970 408 906

890 Chemin des Adrets, F-06370 Mouans-Sartoux