From: epf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of Steve Adolph
Sent: Tue 9/2/2008 11:53 PM
To: 'Bruce Macisaac'
Cc: 'Per Kroll'; 'Werner, Kim'; epf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [epf-dev] RE: OpenUP course material - work in progress

I agree the metaphor isn't perfect. It started when I tried to draw some kind of "hub and spoke" diagram and then played with the petal design. The apeal of the flower is a flower is natural, simple, and beautiful. It also captures a little of the world's mood moving away from mechanisms and re-connecting with nature and the environment.  A tree could be a strong contender because not only does it grow and branch out, but it also can be pruned as old branches die (or rot and fall on your neighbour's car as the one in front of our house did last week).

We need a really strong evocotive diagram and symbol for EPF and OpenUp. RUP's bump diagram is iconic and captures the essence of RUP. What we need is a diagram that really captures the essence of EPF and OpenUP. For me the essence is a process that grows, adapts and is shaped by its users. A flower or a tree diagram of some kind could capture this. Also we can use a stylized flower or tree to represent the product itself, or stand as a logo for EPF. Just my thoughts.

best regards,

Steve