[epf-dev] Poll on EPF Wiki

Hi all,

In the past you have expressed interest in using EPF Wiki (with the feedback form at http://epf.eclipse.org or previously at http://www.epfwiki.net ). I’m currently working on EPF Wiki and would like to know if you would be interested in having it as a Virtual Appliance (VMWare image).

EPF Wiki as Virtual Appliance means it will be distributed pre-installed and pre-configured, including an operating system and packaged in a ready-to-run format.  EPF Wiki including all required components (web server, database, backup jobs) is pre-installed and pre-configured in ready-to-run format.

This Virtual Appliance is a release that I will build on top what will be released by the EPF project. It is a personal service from me to EPF Wiki enthusiasts, completely free, using only open source, free, proven components. So it won’t be downloadable at EPF site but at some other location. Nothing in return is expected but I will appreciate feedback, bug or enhancements requests or ideas. Via the EPF project bugzilla for EPF Wiki or to me directly if it concerns an issue with the VMWare image.

Of course EPF Wiki will also be released by EPF project for you to install yourself with documentation on how to do it. But because this is server technology it is somewhat complicated and will involve many manual steps. I just don’t have the time to prepare a fully automated installer any time soon.

For more information about Virtual Appliances see http://www.vmware.com/appliances/deploy/why.html .

If there is enough interest using EPF Wiki this way, I’m going to prepare this release, so please let me know what option you prefer:

1.       The pre-installed, pre-configured ready-to-run Virtual Appliance/VMWare image

2.       Just the software for you to install yourself.

Thanks for your interest in EPF Wiki,

Onno

Onno van der Straaten

Logica (http://www.logica.com)