RE: [epf-dev] Extending a capability pattern

You could either create a single CP and tweak the task descriptors in
delivery processes, or create one CP, extend it, and tweak it in the 2nd
CP. You could also have an abstract CP that serves as a base for two
concrete CPs as you described, but depending on the content this may not
be the best scenario.

To do the first option, create the original CP as you want it to look.
Drop it into a DP and use it as-is where appropriate. Drop it into
another DP and select a task descriptor you want to change. You can
right-click and select Supress to prevent task descriptors from
publishing (you can do the same to Activities). Or you can
add/remove/reorder steps in the task descriptors, or change their names.
This will not affect the task in the Method Content area. If you modify
a TD be sure and de-select the "Synchronize with Source" flag of the
descriptor. You'll then need to manually synchronize the task descriptor
(right-click on it to get the option) when the task changes.

To edit the TDs you'll need to use "Local Replace" and "Local Replace
with Deep Copy" to copy an activity or an activity with all TDs into the
DP. Then you can modify anything you want, but the copied (black text)
elements are separate copies from the original CP. The green text is
still part of the original CP.

To do the second option, create the first CP. Then create a 2nd CP and
scroll down to the Variability section. Extend the first CP. Then use
the "Local Replace" and/or "Local Replace with Deep Copy" to modify as
necessary. This allows you to maintain as much common information (green
text) as possible. Then use each CP in the DPs you want.

These two methods are doing essentially the same thing, except one is
applied to a DP, and the other to a reusable CP.

Hope this helps,

- Jim

Jim Ruehlin, IBM Rational

RUP Content Developer