Re: [epf-dev] Architecture-centric process

Hi Andre

That's an interesting question I think, for a number of reasons.

To me - and I'm speaking as part of the team that worked on the
architecture content within OpenUP so I have an obvious bias - the answer
is a qualified "yes."

On a basic level, OpenUP recommends that  teams develop software with an
understanding of the overall architecture of the system, on the basis that
this improves software quality. We believe that baselining the architecture
relatively early in the project is a significant project objective. So on
that level, we could say "yes - OpenUP is an architecture-centric process."

We also call out architecture as a distinct discipline is OpenUP, unlike
RUP or the original Unified Process.

That said, I'd also add that the "yes" is qualified by a number of points.

First, using the phrase "architecture-centric" might imply to some that
architecture as a discipline takes priority over other areas of OpenUP. I
don't think that is true. I think architecture is equally important as the
other disciplines.

Second, "Focus on the architecture early to minimize risks and organize
development" is one of the four key principles of OpenUP, right up there
with :
"Balance competing priorities to maximize stakeholder value"
"Collaborate to align interests and share understanding"
and
"Evolve to continuously obtain feedback and improve"

(the point here being that it is one of four principles, not the only
principle).

Third, in writing the architecture content for OpenUP we have tried to
apply some basic guiding principles:
- we adopt a "barely sufficient" mentality. That means we do just enough
architecture work to develop good software and no more. We left out stuff
that we felt was representative of "too much architecture" and debated long
and hard on some of the stuff we left in.
- "architecture" as a set of activities is not about simply about producing
documents and models, it is about producing software. The product (there is
only one) associated with the architecture discipline is there to capture
the decisions we have made when defining the architecture of the software.
The actual "architecture" is in the software itself.
- the work associated with the architecture discipline is a collaborative
activity, coordinated or facilitated by the architect. It is not intended
to be the sole preserve of the architect role.

I guess this means that we are trying to be pragmatic about how
architecture as a discipline is applied to software projects. We wanted to
avoid giving the impression that OpenUP requires reams and reams of
architecture models and documents, and hopefully that comes across in the
content. We still think architecture is an essential ingredient of a
successful project. We still think that the architecture of the software is
usefully expressed with words and pictures as well as code. But it's all
about balance, collaboration, evolution and focusing on the goal - the
software.

Hope this helps

cheers

Mark

Mark Dickson
Executive Consultant
EAS Practice
m 0780 1917480
w www.xansa.com
e mark.dickson@xxxxxxxxx

Have you registered for the Agile Business Conference, London October 2-3
2007?
Xansa supports the Eclipse Process Framework and the Open Unified Process -
open source methods & tools available at www.eclipse.org/epf

             "Andrzej Sobczak
             (poczta.fm)"
             <andrzej.sobczak@                                          To
             poczta.fm>                <epf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
             epf-dev-bounces@e
             clipse.org                                            Subject
                                       [epf-dev] Architecture-centric
                                       process
             21:16 ZE2

             Please respond to
              Eclipse Process
             Framework Project
              Developers List
             <epf-dev@eclipse.
                   org>

Dear All,

Would you say, this statement is true or false: "OpenUp has
architecture-centric process"?

Can anyone help me?

Best Regards,
Andrzej

Whilst this email has been checked for all known viruses, recipients should undertake their own virus checking as Xansa will not accept any liability whatsoever.

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and protected by client privilege.  It is solely for the use of the intended recipient.
Please delete it and notify the sender if you have received it in
error. Unauthorised use is prohibited.

Any opinions expressed in this email are those of the individual and not
necessarily the organisation.
     Xansa, Registered Office: 420 Thames Valley Park Drive,
     Thames Valley Park, Reading, RG6 1PU, UK.
     Registered in England No.1000954.
     t  +44 (0)8702 416181
     w  www.xansa.com

Back to the top