[epf-dev] RE: epf-dev Digest, Vol 19, Issue 22

> There has been discussion that some places just adopting agile
> techniques might not have the tool support and habits that work with
> TDD.  Do we want to have the process so explicitly prescribing the
> technique that someone will look at it and say "well, I don't see myself
> working that way, so I guess it is not the process for me"?

I have actually had trouble swallowing the association between TDD and Agile because TDD makes specific claims about the level of specification of a class, sufficient to design a test against which the class will be coded. This suggests a depth of detailed design which is (apparently) repulsive to the WISCY approach of Agile.

Indeed, some Agile commentators have perverted TDD into "detailed design", failing to understand the notion of design as a communicative tool and (in the case of TDD) a specification rather than, as the Agile camp prefers, a javadoc dump after the event.

I have mused that DBC must be used within the context of TDD to get to a (semi) executatable design spec, against which the testing can be drafted. It also lends itself to CRC based approaches to spec out classes in terms of interfaces and responsibilities against which classes can be built.

Either require a level of rigor and "completeness" that the Agile camp tends to want to avoid, for the sake of the concrete operational customers and project managers.

So, my vote. Leave TDD as a seperate plug-in and allow process developers to meld it in as they see fit rather than knobble it. We need to practice the notions of coupling and cohesion in process development as much as software.

Asterion

Advertisement: Make shopping exciting. Find what you want at www.eBay.com.au http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Frover%2Eebay%2Ecom%2Frover%2F1%2F705%2D10129%2D5668%2D323%2F4%2F%3Fid%3D6&_t=763807330&_r=email_taglines_EBAY&_m=EXT

Back to the top