Re: [epf-dev] Showing Control Flows, but inhibiting predecessor

Hello Brian.
You need to draw a merge before the Implement Developer Test and connect the two via that node then no predecessor will be created.  When you draw a control flow between two tasks it really means that finishing a task triggers the start of another task.  If you use a Merge node you model that you can come to this task from more than one path.

In 1.2 we now clearly distinguish between decision and merge as well as fork and join nodes to be able to be more compliant with other business modeling tools.  Hence, you need to fix one more thing in your diagram: the first node has two incoming and two outgoing links which makes it both a merge and a decision node. It can only be one of the two.  The tool migrated these diagrams over from 1.0, but in 1.2 you are not able to draw them anymore.  Hence I suggest to clean these up and add a merge node there as well.

Thanks and best regards,
Peter Haumer.

PETER HAUMER, Dr. rer. nat.
Rational Method Composer | Eclipse Process Framework
Rational Software | IBM Software Group
Tel.: +1 (408) 463-5096

"Brian Lyons" <blyons@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: epf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

05/16/2007 13:11

Please respond to
Eclipse Process Framework Project Developers List        <epf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"Eclipse Process Framework Project Developers List" <epf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
[epf-dev] Showing Control Flows, but inhibiting predecessor

hiho,

I have an EPF Composer question.

I have an activity diagram for a pretty complicated activity that has lots of decision nodes (specifically it is the OpenUP/Basic capability pattern Develop Solution).  At the start there is a decision node and the flow either goes to the “Design the Solution” task descriptor or it goes straight to the “Implement Developer Tests” task descriptor.  It is important to us that we communicate that we are not enforcing a stopover in design every single time you are implementing even the tiniest bit of functionality.  The activity diagram we have communicates that well (see below).

The problem is that the arrow from “Design the Solution” to “Implement Developer Tests” causes a Predecessor to be set in the WBS.  So the WBS says you must do “Design the Solution” to “Implement Developer Tests”, the opposite of what we are trying to say.  If you remove the Predecessor setting in the WBS, the arrow disappears.

Does anyone know how to have the diagram shown below without having the WBS show the Predecessor relation between “Design the Solution” and “Implement Developer Tests”?