Re: [epf-dev] Two instances of EPF

Marcos,

Sharing plug-ins between method libraries:  Currently, the use of import/export is the only way to do this.  Plans are in the works to support sharing libraries, but with the current tooling you cannot do this.

Running 2 instances of EPF:  You CAN do this.  Here's how:

Instead of starting EPF as just:
       <path to epf.exe>\epf.exe

Start it by also specifying the location of your workspace:
       <path to epf.exe>\epf.exe  -data "<path to your workspace>"

Notice the quotes around the <path to your workspace>.  These are required if there are any blank spaces in that path.

The epf.ini file includes the default location of the workspace.  This is used if you don't specify a -data parameter.  For EPF version 1.0.1.2 that location is:  @user.home/EPF/workspace.1012

You can define the location of your workspace to be any place you like, as long as it is not inside a method library.

Of course, to make starting these different instances easy, you probably want to create your own start menu items for these.  Just specify the entire 'command' in the Target field of the shortcut.

If you choose to run 2 instances of EPF at once, you need to be pointing to different libraries.  EPF won't allow you to open the same library in multiple instances.  And, of course, EPF knows nothing about the fact that you are running two instances, so don't expect any behavior that would come from that knowledge.  So, to copy information from one library to another, you'd have to use copy/paste.  Realize that if you create a new element (eg, a new task) in one library, you get a new guid for that element, so it is a different element from the one in your 2nd library.  If you are really trying to 'move' that element into your library from another (ie, you want it to be the same element), then you must do that using export/import and then move the element.  Otherwise all references or links to the element you are moving will not be valid.

Since starting EPF in this fashion is not specifically included in the help, I can't say that this is officially supported.  However, I run the tool in this fashion almost daily and I have never encountered any problems in doing so.  I've had as many as 4 or 5 different instances running at once.

Margaret

Margaret Hedstrom
RUP Content Developer
hedstrom@xxxxxxxxxx
(919) 254-7282 (tie 444)
3039 Cornwallis Road
PO Box 12195, HSW/503 - C5CA/B501/E128
Research Triangle Park, NC   27709-2195

"Marcos Vinícius Guimarães" <marcosvafg@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: epf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

04/02/2007 10:16 AM

Please respond to
Eclipse Process Framework Project Developers List        <epf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"Eclipse Process Framework Project Developers List" <epf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [epf-dev] Two instances of EPF

Hi Jim!

How can I share some method library? I don't see anything about this
in EPF documentation.

Is it possible, for example, to start a new method library based on
OpenUP and share OpenUP plugin between my new library and the default
OpenUP library? Or the only way to do this is using import/export
features?

Thanks again
--
Marcos Vinicius Guimaraes