RE: [epf-dev] Prioritizing requirements

Re-sending

Ben

From: epf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:epf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Ben Williams
Sent: 12 March 2007 16:12
To: Eclipse Process Framework Project Developers List
Cc: Mark.Dickson@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [epf-dev] Prioritizing requirements

Mark

Well raised, I think this is an area that needs clarification.

Maybe I’m having a bad sight day, but I’m in the same boat as you……

First of all, I don’t think there is any explicit mention of prioritizing requirements as an entity, but prioritizing items in the WIL (including requirements) is covered partially.

Certainly the Project Manager, as primary performer of Task: 'Plan Iteration' uses the Stakeholder prioritization as a necessary input into that task, but the steps in the task itself could be interpreted in a couple of different ways.

Note my highlighting in Red below.

Define the iteration objectives

At the beginning of an iteration, the Role: Project Manager works with the team to define 1-5 objectives. These objectives should be a refinement of the iteration objectives found in the Artifact: Project Plan, and should provide high-level direction to what should be targeted for the iteration. The objectives should be driven based on Role: Stakeholder priorities, and will be revised as the iteration plan is finalized. The objectives are usually defined as high-level capabilities or scenarios that need to be implemented and tested during the iteration.

Produce detailed plan

The Role: Project Manager works with the rest of the team, and especially the project stakeholders, to identify the high-priority work items from the Artifact: Work Items List to be addressed within the iteration. The high-level objectives provide guidance on what work items should be considered. The team should break down work items so they fit within the iteration as necessary. Actual effort to complete each Work Item should be estimated. When a team has decided to take on a Work Item, it will assign the work to one or several team members. Ideally, this is done by team members signing up to do the work, since this makes people motivated and committed to doing the job, but based on culture, you may instead have the project manager assign the work.

With the first step, it is ambiguous (to me at least) as to whether the prioritization has already occurred elsewhere or not.

With the second step, it is implied that that the prioritization is happening here in this step (or why would we need to work with ‘especially the project stakeholders’?)

The following exists within Task: ‘Define Vision’:

Define features of the system

Work with stakeholders to capture a list of features that stakeholders want in the system, briefly describing them and giving attributes to help define their general status and priority in the project.

The Task: ‘Find and Outline Requirements’ contains:

Update the Work Items List

Capture references to the requirements in the Artifact: Work Items List, so that you can prioritize the work.

The WIL artifact of course has the following Purpose field:

Purpose

To collect all requests for work that will potentially be taken on within the project, so work can be prioritized, effort estimated and progress tracked.

And the following exists in the Main Description of the WIL artifact:

·         It provides one list of all the work to be prioritized, estimated, and assigned within the project. The risk list is prioritized separately.

In summary, I think prioritization of items in the WIL should be an explicit step somewhere (perhaps in ‘Plan Iteration’ ?), and other references to prioritization should be cleaned up.

Ben

Telelogic Lifecycle Solutions:
Helping You Define, Design & Deliver Advanced Systems & Software

Learn More at www.telelogic.com

Ben Williams
Product Manager, Lifecycle Solutions
Telelogic UK Ltd, Northbrook House, Oxford Science Park, Oxford, OX4 4GA, United Kingdom
Phone: +44 (7710) 637 067
Fax: +44 (1865) 784 286
Mobile phone: +44 (7710) 637 067

Ben.Williams@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.telelogic.com

Telelogic - Requirements-Driven Innovation!

The information contained in this e-mail, including any attachment or enclosure, is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential material. Any unauthorized use, review, retransmissions, dissemination, copying or other use of this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.

Back to the top