Re: [epf-dev] Sabre's Agile Methodology: OpenUP-ish?

On Sun, March 4, 2007 8:06 am, Brian Lyons said:
> hiho,
>

> I was surfing around looking at some pages relating to the usage of
> agile techniques and I came across this very small article
> <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic
> &articleId=273413>  referencing the success Sabre is having in applying
> an agile process.
>

> I was sort of put off by this erroneous-sounding snippet: "Sabre's
> approach to agile development draws from other iterative programming
> techniques such as UML".  Certainly UML can be an important development
> technique applied in iterative development, but I wouldn't casually
> reference it as an "iterative programming technique".

You naively assume that the writer understands the material that they're
writing about.  ;-)

> Anyway, the intriguing quote is this one: "As Sabre began developing a
> runtime infrastructure in 2004, project iterations would typically start
> with an inception phase - an evaluation of what Sabre's products could
> do in a Web services environment - followed by an elaboration phase".
> Hmmm, agility and a set of phases starting with inception and then going
> on to elaboration.  And usage of UML.  Sounds like a great idea!

Definitely.  Does anyone have any contacts at Sabre?  Perhaps we should
approach them?

- Scott
Practice Leader Agile Development, IBM Rational
http://www-306.ibm.com/software/rational/bios/ambler.html

Refactoring Databases (
http://www.ambysoft.com/books/refactoringDatabases.html ) is now
available.