RE: [epf-dev] Clarity on EPL

Of course, part of the value proposition of a plug-in architecture for OpenUP is to avoid precisely this copy and paste situation.  Any company with their own “secret sauce” can just create a plug-in that extends the Basic content.  The natural reading of the EPL is that this would incur no obligation to the community.  It’s like putting Jakarta Collections in your proprietary Java app.

However, I think its incumbent upon us as content authors to make voluntary contribution as attractive as possible while still enforcing the vision of OpenUP/Basic as a minimalist, executable process.

Nate

From: epf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:epf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Ricardo Balduino
Sent: Thursday, February 01, 2007 4:02 PM
To: Eclipse Process Framework Project Developers List
Subject: RE: [epf-dev] Clarity on EPL

On top of what Nate described, I'd add that if a company uses (copy and paste) snippets of OpenUP  to build a process and commercialize it, they would need to make that process available under EPL.

Ricardo Balduino
Senior Software Engineer

IBM Rational (www.ibm.com/rational)
EPF Committer (www.eclipse.org/epf)

"Nate Oster" <noster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: epf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

02/01/2007 09:36 AM

Please respond to
Eclipse Process Framework Project Developers List        <epf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"Eclipse Process Framework Project Developers List" <epf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

cc

Subject

RE: [epf-dev] Clarity on EPL

Ostensibly, I would think that they’re free to incorporate OpenUP content, in whole or in part, into their own original works of authorship, without incurring any obligation to the community.  However, if they modify the OpenUP/Basic (or other plugin) content at all, they would be required by the terms of the EPL to contribute that modified content to the project.

Example: Write a TDD plugin that overrides the “Create Test Cases” task = no obligation.
Modify the OpenUP/Basic “Create Test Cases” task in their own environment = required to share with EPF

Nate