Re: [epf-dev] Request for discussion: Redefining Architecture Content for OpenUP/Basic 1.0

On Tue, January 23, 2007 10:31 am, Ana Valente Pereira said:
> Sorry Mark but I will not be habble to be at the call..

I missed the call too, sorry about that.

> I agree with most of what you wrote.... just some comments:
>
> * I would write "just enough words" after producing and testing the
> software  ... just to remember key arch decisions that could be useful
> for the next iteration

Definitely.  I think that we should recommend:
1. The creation of a handful of key sketches ( technical stack diagram,
domain diagram, deployment diagram) which evolve as needed throughout the
project.
2. Recording of key architectural decisions, often in point form.

> * It also sounds that software is always being from scratch ... maybe
> the arch team could also make use of other software developed in the
> open source communities ... we could add some steps for it ?

And benefit from existing work within the company.  There is likely an
existing infrastructure and maybe even enterprise architects available to
help explain things and better yet be available to work with the team.

- Scott
Practice Leader Agile Development, IBM Rational
http://www-306.ibm.com/software/rational/bios/ambler.html

Refactoring Databases (
http://www.ambysoft.com/books/refactoringDatabases.html ) is now
available.