Re: [epf-dev] Request for discussion: Redefining Architecture Content for OpenUP/Basic 1.0

On Mon, January 22, 2007 6:18 am, Mark.Dickson@xxxxxxxxx said:

> 1. Emphasise the idea of "just enough architecture" so that a team using
> OpenUP/Basic can quickly start to deliver software in a consistent and
> coherent way

In AMDD, http://www.agilemodeling.com/essays/amdd.htm , we talk about how
you need to do just a bit of architectural modeling early in the project
to identify your architectural vision.  My December newsletter in DDJ
described just how much modeling needs to be done for various situations.
Perhaps we can take ideas from it?  See
http://www.ddj.com/dept/architect/196500031?cid=Ambysoft

The details should be model stormed JIT.

> 2. Integrate the concept of Architecture with the build-centric philosophy
> of agile methods. OpenUP/Basic is already build-centric. We need to show
> that Architecture has value in evolving a good build.

Yes.  A bit of initial architecture modeling with JIT model storming seems
to work wonders.

> 3. We also need to clearly show how architecture tasks and products are
> *not* some sort of document-centric overhead that is somehow orthogonal to
> the core objective of building software. Yes, the architecture work can
> generate documents and models. The point is that these are only created
> when they are necessary as steps on the path to getting a team working
> together.

Perhaps we should use terms such as "Architectural Sketches" and not
"Architecture Models"?

- Scott
Practice Leader Agile Development, IBM Rational
http://www-306.ibm.com/software/rational/bios/ambler.html

Refactoring Databases (
http://www.ambysoft.com/books/refactoringDatabases.html ) is now
available.