Re: [epf-dev] Discovered Size of OpenUP/Basic

I've done a different counting. I've exported OpenUP/Basic to HTML format (feature available in Rational Method Composer). That generates mostly text, with fewer blank spaces and structural information than one would find in published pages. The resulting number was 254 HTML files.

That does not reflect number of printed pages, which could be more or less than 254. Maybe Jim would like to reapply the PDF technique on this set and have a better sense of number of printed pages?
Some of the exported files are short, some are more than one page to scroll, depending on original length of text (such as guidelines). But the average element (roles, tasks, artifacts) should be 1-2 pages of readable text.

Numbers on this range are not so scary comparing to books specific to one technique, which usually average that number. OpenUP/Basic goes beyond one particular technique or discipline in isolation, and I'm not sure we can compare it to a book (different breadth and depth of content than a book). Plus it's not supposed to be read sequentially as a book is most often read. One will find a way reading OpenUP/Basic material starting with the Delivery Process, other will prefer to look information related to his/her role, etc.

IMHO we want to consider minimal yet complete information for OpenUP/Basic, not leaving important material behind. However, the shorter and more concise text we write for each element, the closer we will be to printing the material in less than 300 pages.

My 2 cents,

Ricardo Balduino
Senior Software Engineer

IBM Rational (www.ibm.com/rational)
EPF Committer (www.eclipse.org/epf)

*My new office phone: 408-463-5264

Jim Ruehlin/Irvine/IBM@IBMUS
Sent by: epf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

11/30/2006 04:56 PM

Please respond to
Eclipse Process Framework Project Developers List        <epf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

epf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[epf-dev] Discovered Size of OpenUP/Basic

The best estimate I have so far of the size of OpenUP/Basic is 542 pages (8 ½ x 11). This is based on what’s in CVS as of 11/29/06. This should give us an initial benchmark for our OpenUP/Basic 1.0 scoping efforts.

I determined the size by creating a PDF of the entire website, doing a breadth-first walk along the links starting with the Intro page. I didn’t see anything missing, but I only made a cursory examination of the PDF file. Glossary terms, templates, and examples are included in the page count. Also, many web pages are longer than 8 ½ x 11, so this estimate is based on a book layout, not a website layout.

- Jim