RE: [epf-dev] Discovered Size of OpenUP/Basic

I completely agree with Mark's perspective. We shouldn't be as concerned about size, but more about essential content. To Scott's point, it might not be a bad idea to consider refactoring content into multiple plugins, so for those organizations and teams that are concerned about size can control it (but we should probably get some feedback from the user community before we dive into it). One thing about Jim's page count to consider is that method content is re-published in the various descriptors used in the capability patterns and delivery process. This might artificially inflate the "actual" size of original content...

Thanks, Chris ~:|

From: epf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:epf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Mark.Dickson@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, December 01, 2006 4:14 AM
To: Eclipse Process Framework Project Developers List
Subject: Re: [epf-dev] Discovered Size of OpenUP/Basic

I think we should worry less about the number of pages and more about the value of the content on each page.

The number of pages will be artificially bloated by the page layout delivered by Composer. For example the Architecture work product covers two pages of printed paper but only delivers about half a page of text in a 12pt font.

On a more general point, I am uncomfortable about the way recent discussions have focused on the size of the process, as if somehow smaller means more agile. I do not believe that agility is a function of the size of the process. It is a function of how people behave, not what the process does or does not explicitly document.

I believe that it is important that OpenUP/Basic delivers value to it's users. I do not think that the primary audience for OpenUP/Basic is going to be projects made up of small teams of battle-hardened agile development veterans. Projects like that don't really need to refer to *any* written process.

So who's our audience? Small teams of less experienced developers adopting new technologies and techniques? People who want to use the Unified Process but want a free alternative to RUP? I think so. If that is the case then OpenUP/Basic had better be delivering some real content - by which I means actual practices and guidance to help them reach a point where they don't need it anymore.

That stuff consumes pages. And (if done right) delivers value.

When deciding what to chop out of OpenUP/Basic, we need to make sure that we ask the question "does this content deliver value to our audience?" If the answer is yes and we are still at 542 pages, then I am ok with that.

Cheers

Mark

Mark Dickson
Principal Solution Architect