[epf-dev] CFP

Call for Papers
Cutter IT Journal
Claude R. Baudoin, Guest Editor
Abstract Submission Date: 8 December 2006
Articles Due: 22 January 2007

The IT Innovation Process: Necessity or Oxymoron?

The word "innovation" seems to be the buzzword du jour in the IT
world. Consulting firms promise to tell you how to innovate.
Independent inventors form loose networks of people who, Web
2.0-style, market their skills on open networks. Once staid
companies, gun-shy after the excesses of the late '90s and the
"tech bubble," are now looking for emerging information
technologies that can positively impact their bottom line. The US
in particular has caught a case of "outsourcing vertigo":
activities that are based on repetitive actions, or are
capital-intensive, have often gone overseas, and so have
engineering and services activities that do not require close
physical proximity. Like Wiley Coyote when he discovers that there
is no ground under his feet any more, we need to catch the closest
branch to avoid falling into the ravine: can Innovation, with a
capital I, be our salvation?

At the same time, what does it mean to innovate in a culture that
defines the success of a company according to quarterly earnings
per share? How do you reconcile the need for a healthy pipeline of
new IT-based product capabilities that ensure long-term growth
with the need to manage R&D costs to satisfy the shareholders?

The above dilemma is only perhaps the most obvious. Another one is
the tension between internal and external innovation (back to
"outsourcing" again!). If we open our arms to ideas coming from
outside, how do we tell our best and brightest engineers and
researchers, "We love you, too?" On the other hand, if we want to
jealously guard the confidentiality of any invention that might
give us a competitive edge, how can we possibly sign a research
contract with a university, where work is still governed by the
"publish or perish" dictum?

Next, what is the right level of risk? Much has been written on
the fact that if you don't fail enough, it means you're not daring
enough. But we've all known senior managers who would use a form
of that exhortation, pushing their middle managers and R&D
directors to "take more risk" -- and who would then mercilessly
punish those whose projects failed, especially if the failure was
expensive (yet not as expensive, by far, as their last failed
acquisition).

So in the middle of all the claims by "innovation consultants,"
authors of books on innovation, marketplaces for innovators, and
so on, one question still remains. In an organization that has a
mission, a strategy, and metrics oriented toward a mainstream
business model (be it products, services, or the indefinable
cop-out word "solutions"), how does one manage innovation,
especially innovation in IT, which is often not the core
competency of the company?

The March 2007 issue of the Cutter IT Journal proposes to resolve
some of the myths inherent in the current infatuation with
innovation. We invite useful and thoughtful analysis and debate,
especially if based on real experience, from technology managers,
IT managers, business managers, consultants, and academics on the
best ways to foster, maintain, and exploit innovation in
information technologies in an organization.

TOPICS OF INTEREST MAY INCLUDE (but are not limited to) the
following:

* Does innovation "just happen," or can you foster it? What
central function, if any, do you need in order to organize the
process? Do you hurt innovation by pushing for it (hence the
"oxymoron" in the title)? How much innovation do you need if you
are an IT vendor, and how much if you are not?

* What is the appropriate balance of external vs. internal
sourcing of innovation? Are there examples of companies that have
entirely outsourced their IT innovation and preserved their
ability to gain a competitive advantage from new ideas?

* Can your existing IT employees contribute innovations? Can you
have "innovation Fridays" to match the more casual way of
dressing? Does it require a Ph.D. to innovate, or how broadly can
you make the sparks fly? Can you tell who would thrive if you let
them work on skunkworks projects? How do you motivate and reward
them for doing it -- and their bosses for allowing it?

* What do you do once you have a promising invention? How do you
get the rest of the organization, which may already be busy on a
set roadmap, to make room for something coming "out of left field"?

TO SUBMIT AN ARTICLE IDEA
Please respond to Claude Baudoin,
claude[dot]baudoin[at]slb[dot]com, with a copy to
itjournal[at]cutter[dot]com, no later than 8 December 2006 and
include an extended abstract and a short article outline showing
major discussion points.

ARTICLE DEADLINE
Articles are due on 22 January 2007.

EDITORIAL GUIDELINES
Most Cutter IT Journal articles are approximately 2,500-3,500
words long, plus whatever graphics are appropriate. If you have
any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact CITJ's
Group Publisher, Christine Generali at cgenerali[at]cutter[dot]com
or the Guest Editor, Claude Baudoin at
claude[dot]baudoin[at]slb[dot]com. Editorial guidelines are
available at
http://www.cutter.com/content-and-analysis/journals-and-reports/cut
ter-it-journal/edguide.html

AUDIENCE
Typical readers of Cutter IT Journal range from CIOs and vice
presidents of software organizations to IT managers, directors,
project leaders, and very senior technical staff. Most work in
fairly large organizations: Fortune 500 IT shops, large computer
vendors (IBM, HP, etc.), and government agencies. 48% of our
readership is outside of the US (15% from Canada, 14% Europe, 5%
Australia/NZ, 14% elsewhere). Please avoid introductory-level,
tutorial coverage of a topic. Assume you're writing for someone
who has been in the industry for 10 to 20 years, is very busy, and
very impatient. Assume he or she will be asking, "What's the
point? What do I do with this information?" Apply the "So what?"
test to everything you write.

PROMOTIONAL OPPORTUNITIES
We are pleased to offer Journal authors a year's complimentary
subscription and 10 copies of the issue in which they are
published. In addition, we occasionally pull excerpts, along with
the author's bio, to include in our weekly Cutter Edge e-mail
bulletin, which reaches another 8,000 readers. We'd also be
pleased to quote you, or passages from your article, in Cutter
press releases. If you plan to be speaking at industry
conferences, we can arrange to make copies of your article or the
entire issue available for attendees of those speaking engagements
-- furthering your own promotional efforts.

ABOUT CUTTER IT JOURNAL
No other journal brings together so many cutting-edge thinkers,
and lets them speak so bluntly and frankly. We strive to maintain
the Journal's reputation as the "Harvard Business Review of IT."
Our goal is to present well-grounded opinion (based on real,
accountable experiences), research, and animated debate about each
topic the Journal explores.

FEEL FREE TO FORWARD THIS CALL FOR PAPERS TO ANYONE WHO MIGHT HAVE
AN APPROPRIATE SUBMISSION.

Scott W. Ambler
Practice Leader Agile Development, IBM
Senior Contributing Editor, Dr. Dobb's Journal
http://www-306.ibm.com/software/rational/bios/ambler.html

Every organization gets the process that it deserves.

Back to the top