Re: [epf-dev] Participation Inequality in User Communities

Great article, Jim.

I would like us to work hard on getting more people active in the project. We will make that happen by the soon-to-come donations of DSDM, XP, Scrum, Agile Modeling, and Wiki technologies.
But we also need to go to other forums to recruit people.

I also plan to announce a couple of meetings where people interested in joining the project, or adopting EPF, can come and ask questions....

Cheers

Per Kroll
STSM, Manager Methods: RUP / RMC
Project Lead: Eclipse Process Framework
Rational Software, IBM Corp
(M) 408-219-2963

Jim Ruehlin/Irvine/IBM@IBMUS
Sent by: epf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

10/10/2006 06:30 PM

Please respond to
Eclipse Process Framework Project Developers List <epf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

epf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[epf-dev] Participation Inequality in User Communities

There’s an interesting article at http://www.useit.com/alertbox/participation_inequality.html that provides empirical evidence for the lack of participation in user communities. This includes communities like EPF, or communities that may be contributing to a published process via a wiki for instance. Both types of communities are (or will be) important to the success of EPF processes.

The article describes the phenomenon of “participation inequality” and provides a few measures to address it. It’s a quick read.

Article Summary:
In most online communities, 90% of users are lurkers who never contribute, 9% of users contribute a little, and 1% of users account for almost all the action.

- Jim