From: epf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:epf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Per Kroll
Sent: Monday, October 09, 2006 9:32 PM
To: epf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [epf-dev] Input to retrospectives

Hi,

below you find some feedback from Ricardo and me on the process we followed for last project  that hopefully can be useful starting point for tomorrows retrospective:
  • Bugzilla and Burndown chart were out-of-sync most of the time. It's hard to maintain two repositories of information.
    Recommendation: Use Bugzilla and leverage it's report capabilities.
  • Owners of bugs did not always adhere to guidelines for state transitions. E.g., some bugs were moved to Verify without being in CVS.
    Recommendation: Communicate guidelines.
  • At some point in time, we stopped posting meeting minutes on the epf-dev list. We exchanged emails between a closed group (usually the meeting participants) and forgot to broadcast the decisions to the larger group. Chris S does a great job writing many minutes. He sends them to the participants, and expect the owner of the meeting to distribute to epf-dev assuming that he agrees with the minutes.
    Recommendation: Make sure to clarify in each meeting who is the owner that will send the minutes to epf-dev.
  • Project Plan and iteration plans. We only revisited project plan once, rather than after every iteration. We didn't have iteration plans for each iteration, nor retrospectives. As we are expected to develop content iteratively, each iteration should include: planning, authoring of content and reviews. Those things happened ad-hoc for some content areas, though.
    Recommendation: Determine iteration dates, planning meetings and retrospectives in advance. Do a better job following our iterative process.
  • Work items assigned to an iteration in OpenUP should be completed in that iteration, menaning that we should write and review the content within that iteration. In our case, many work items took several iterations to complete. This breaks a fundamental concept in how to manage iterations, inherent in OpenUP and other agile processes.
    Recommendation: Find ways of identifying work items that can be completed within the iteration.
  • Copy-editing of content should be done earlier, before release. This means we need to freeze content development earlier than for this release.
    Recommendation: Stick to the plan of having last iteration to be stabilization, editing, tuning, rather than cramming out large volumes of content.
  • Reviews like the one done by RUP team should happen at least 2 weeks before release, ideally once per Iteration. This gives plenty of time for reviewers and for feedback to be incorporated.
    Recommendation:
  • Collateral should be part of a release. It's fair to say we got all swamped on the last few weeks before release and couldn't spend time on papers, recorded demos etc., but we may want to have some buffer on project plan to accommodate those.
    Recommendation: Stick to original plan of having last iteration to focus on end game, that is tuning, collateral, quality improvement.
  • Some contributors worked a lot, and should be promoted to committers.
    Recommendation: Review top contributors and promote some to committers.
  • Some committers have done nothing or very little. As project manager, I am obliged to revoke committer priveliges if people are not active in the project.
    Recommendation: Per to have a discussion with some committers regarding their continued involvement.
  • Some (active) committers never made a single committ to CVS. Committers needs to learn how to use EPF Composer and CVS.
    Recommendation: Train all committers on using EPF Composer / CVS.
  • Contributors should be encouraged to learn using EPF Composer and CVS. This would enable them to see the latest content, versus relying on published configurations.
    Recommendation: Train contributors on using EPF Composer / CVS.
  • For each of the major plug-ins being developed (either in OpenUP or other process), we should have a committer leading the work with contributors, being accountable for delivery of results. For this release, many plug-ins were stalled since we ended up focusing solely on OpenUP. We need to maintain pace across many plug-ins moving forward.
    Recommendation:

Cheers

Per Kroll
STSM, Manager Methods: RUP / RMC
Project Lead: Eclipse Process Framework
Rational Software, IBM Corp
(M) 408-219-2963

Innovation 2006 - Telelogic User Group Conference
Where can innovation take you?
Learn more at:
http://www.telelogic.com/company/events/usergroup/

Chris Sibbald
Vice President, Standards and Technology
Telelogic North America Inc.
255 Albert Street, Suite 600
Ottawa
Ontario
K1P 6A9
Canada

Phone: +1 (613) 266 5061
Fax: +1 (613) 482 4538
Mobile phone: +1 (613) 266 5061

Chris.Sibbald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.telelogic.com

 Telelogic - Requirements-Driven Innovation!

The information contained in this e-mail, including any attachment or enclosure, is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential material. Any unauthorized use, review, retransmissions, dissemination, copying or other use of this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.

Back to the top