Re: [epf-dev] Intro page + Plus comments for all content leads++

Hi Per,

So I think under the graphic on the intro page it should have a description as follows.

OpenUP processes are based on a foundation of collaboration guidance (the Collaboration Layer).  The processes themselves
can be viewed as subprocesses for Intent (understanding what stakeholders want from the product), Management, and Solution (building the product or solution).
(with links for each of the key elements as well as hotspots on the diagram).

I assume there will be hotspots to capabilities patterns for each of the subprocesses (I didn't see this in your explanations).

Also I suggest some alternative text for the collaboration layer.

Let me know what you think.

Steve - is there a bugzilla entry where this should really be placed?
Also is this enough to run with?  Do you want to create finished versions of these pages?
(I'll be away until Sept 27, but perhaps one of the other IBMers can help if you need it).

Regards,
Bruce MacIsaac

Per Kroll/Cupertino/IBM@IBMUS
Sent by: epf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

09/15/2006 11:31 AM

Please respond to
Eclipse Process Framework Project Developers List <epf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Eclipse Process Framework Project Developers List <epf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
"'Eclipse Process Framework Project Developers List'" <epf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>, epf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject
Re: [epf-dev] Intro page + Plus comments for all content leads++

Hi,

attached you find my draft description of each subprocess and the foundational collaboration layer. I am writing this disconnected, so cannot put it into bugzilla right now.

The text would probably benefit from a graph for each sub-process to capture the essence of that sub-process. I have not yet reflected on what such a graph may look like.

As I wrote the text, I made a number of comments that I hope is a good read for all content leads, as well as other people writing content. I e.g. suggest changes to most of the tasks in Intent and Solutions Development to better reflect collaborative development, with more roles involved in the various tasks. I think the counter-argument is that if every role needs to participate in every task, does that not only clutter the model? That would be a valid concern, but as a minimum, we need to make sure that it is crystal clear to the analyst that they should not only capture requirements, but that they need to involve developers, architects and testers to validate the requriements and ensure that they are understood. This could be done through a simple change to the step "Achieve Concurrence". The same type of thinking probably applies to most or at least many tasks in the intent and solutions development sub-processes.

Comments?

Cheers

Per Kroll
STSM, Manager Methods: RUP / RMC
Project Lead: Eclipse Process Framework
Rational Software, IBM Corp
408-342-3815

Bruce Macisaac/Cupertino/IBM@IBMUS
Sent by: epf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

09/14/2006 09:01 PM

steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc
"'Eclipse Process Framework Project Developers List'" <epf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject
[epf-dev] Intro page

Hi Steve,

As you recall, at Wednesday's status meeting I expressed the concern that the intro graphic, while cool, introduces another set of things that look a lot like the disciplines, which could be confusing.  To address this concern, Per has agreed to draft up some pages for each of these areas.

After Sept 30, we can further explore my proposal to align these areas with the disciplines.

(For reference, here is what I had in mind - although from informal discussions, it looks like it will take a while to gel):

- rename "Intent" to be "Requirements", to match the discipline

- Solution would have sub-disciplines of Implementation, Test, AnD, and later deployment.

- Management would have CM and Project Management, and later Environment.

- Communication and Collaboration becomes a new discipline that describes general concepts and responsibilities of all team members.

For now, the Any Role and "submit a change request" would be in this discipline.  Longer term would be general review procedures, guidance on scrums, searching for reusable assets and
providing feedback, resolving conflict, etc.)

Hope that works for you.

Cheers,

Bruce MacIsaac
Manager - RUP/OpenUP Content