From: epf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:epf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Ricardo Balduino
Sent: Friday, September 08, 2006 12:26 PM
To: Eclipse Process Framework Project Developers List
Subject: Re: [epf-dev] term definition

I'd add that in continuous-integration type of environments, builds are created daily (and more often than that), so I don't like the definition of build being an executable provided at the end of an iteration.
I'd prefer to say that releases are ready at the end of iterations, and classify them according to "completeness" (e.g., Product Release, to align with the name of the  Milestone at the end of Transition phase).

Cheers,

Ricardo Balduino
Senior Software Engineer

IBM - RUP Team | EPF Committer
www.ibm.com/rational
www.eclipse.org/epf

"VAIDYA Kirti" <KVAIDYA@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: epf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

09/07/2006 02:00 PM

Please respond to
Eclipse Process Framework Project Developers List <epf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

<epf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

cc

Subject

Re: [epf-dev] term definition

I think a Build need not be an executable or even an operational integration, e.g. Builds that are libraries or partial integrations. Also, there will be multiple builds but 1 release per iteration.

How about:

"A build is an aggregation of related compiled code segments that can be managed as a unit"?

"A release is an executable aggregation of related compiled code segments and corresponding supporting documentation that can be published as a unit."

Releases could be further classified as internal, external, iteration, and project end. I have also seen releases that were external at iteration milestones, esp in product development.