RE: [epf-dev] Task and Activity

Steve I want to help you here, but I am not sure what you exactly need as you request is too abstract :-)

As these are meta-model concepts and not OpenUP concepts I do not think that they need needs to be in the Index of OpenUP at all.  However, we should invest into the base-concepts plug-in (and its index) to make it more understandable and a better guide to the published site in general as well as the meta-model concepts used, though.  I know that Todd is working on some new material for that.  I will check with him what we can already harvest here.

If you are interested in more background on these concepts: there are not only term definitions, but also and concept pages on these available in base-concepts plug-in.  The on-line help of the tool also provides explanations of the concepts.  Plus, there are also these two white papers that provide an overview (see part 2 for activity versus task versus task descriptor):

http://www.eclipse.org/epf/general/EPFComposerOverviewPart1.pdf
http://www.eclipse.org/epf/general/EPFComposerOverviewPart2.pdf

Thanks and best regards,
Peter Haumer.

PETER HAUMER, Dr. rer. nat.
Rational Method Composer | Eclipse Process Framework
Rational Software | IBM Software Group
Tel.: +1 408 863-8716

"Steve Adolph" <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: epf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

08/23/2006 11:56

Please respond to
Eclipse Process Framework Project Developers List <epf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"'Eclipse Process Framework Project Developers List'" <epf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
RE: [epf-dev] Task and Activity

That is part of the problem, the definitions are so abstract they are pretty much meaningless.

Eclipse Process Framework Project Developers List
Re: [epf-dev] Task and Activity

What about the definition of those terms included in the base_concepts plug-in? :-)

Ricardo Balduino
Senior Software Engineer

IBM - RUP Team | EPF Committer
www.ibm.com/rational
www.eclipse.org/epf

"Steve Adolph" <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: epf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

08/23/2006 10:55 AM

Please respond to
Eclipse Process Framework Project Developers List <epf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"'Eclipse Process Framework Project Developers List'" <epf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
[epf-dev] Task and Activity

Hello Everyone:

I am trying to assemble a term list for the OpenUP index and I am little perplexed about what the relationship between a task and an activity is, and what subterms should be included under these. Can anyone provide me with a little clarification on this?

Best regards,

Steve