[epf-dev] Issues for Friday August 18th General and Overarching Issues Telecon

Hello everyone:

There is a wonderful _expression_ that goes “…nothing else focuses a man’s attention like a noose” and right now after disappearing for three weeks there is a very tight noose around my neck…sigh. There are currently 35 bugs associated with the General and Overarching issues. In my view most of these bugs fall into one of five categories:

1)     Minor issues (e.g. 146494 – index/contents.htm) which could be fixed with fairly little effort.

2)     Issues which have been resolved but not yet verified and therefore I cannot close them yet.

3)     Supporting document and presentation issues which require significant work still (examples are 150786 )

4)     Won’t fix, the bug is not important enough to divert the resources for.

5)     Not a general or overarching the bug will not be fixed as a general or overarching issue (a lot of documentation bugs have ended up here).

Of course there are a couple that I have no idea what they are about….

I believe a few of these issues have been resolved but the bug has not been accepted, nor has it been verified. For example, I assume that 133269 (“Add stake holder role to BUP) are done, but have not been moved to resolved yet.

Some of these bugs will not be resolved by September 30th. For example, 146443 (No examples). Some bugs like 146489 (Index seems light) could be worked on in our spare time. For the related 146487 (glossary is light) someone could accept this and act as a clearing house for updates. Perhaps our buoyant colleague Mark could take this on now that architecture is done J

The challenging work that remains part of the General and Overarching issues are those bugs associated with creating and reviewing content for the core principles. During the DC face to face Jim, Ana and myself began a review of the core concepts. Fortunately this review suggested that much of what is already written can be simplified. In my personal opinion, there are three “must have” white papers or guidance ready with the October release of OpenUP

1)     An OpenUP overview – Bug 150768 (this could also cover bug 150767 getting started)

2)     A user guide to understanding the core principles – Bug 147135 (which I have taken on sigh…)

3)     The look and feel of the intro page and the overall presentation of OpenUP – Per’s infamous bug 152354)

Here is my categorization of the General and Overarching Issues Bugs….

Won’t fix can be resolved now….

146443

2006-06-20

enh

P3

PC

NEW

EPF

Content

unspe

---

General - All disciplines: No examples

Trivial issues which can be quickly resolved….(some of these may already have already been resolved but the bug not updated…)

146499

2006-06-20

enh

P3

PC

NEW

EPF

Content

unspe

---

General - Create OpenUP graphics

146487

2006-06-14

nor

P3

PC

NEW

EPF

Content

1.0

1.0 M5

General - Glossary - seems a little light

146489

2006-06-12

nor

P3

PC

NEW

EPF

Content

1.0

1.0 M5

General - Index seems light

146491

2006-06-14

enh

P3

PC

NEW

EPF

Content

1.0

1.0 M5

General - Graphic banner - replace

146493

2006-06-14

nor

P3

PC

NEW

EPF

Content

1.0

1.0 M5

General - About dialog box - inconsistent text

146494

2006-07-20

nor

P3

PC

NEW

EPF

Content

1.0

1.0 M5

General - index/contents.htm - title tag

145671

2006-07-13

enh

P3

PC

ASSI

EPF

Document

unspe

---

General - Indicate UML Prefered Diagramming Language in P...

Requires review to resolve or verify…

146469

2006-06-20

maj

P3

PC

NEW

EPF

Content

1.0

1.0 M5

General - all content - check spelling and grammar

150766

2006-07-17

maj

P1

PC

NEW

EPF

Content

1.0

1.0 M5

General - Review Any Role usage.

150769

Wed 10:13

nor

P3

All

NEW

EPF

Content

1.0

1.0 M5

General - Review and update references

150770

2006-07-17

maj

P2

PC

NEW

EPF

Content

1.0

1.0 M5

General - Review phase iteration templates

133269

2006-06-14

maj

P1

All

ASSI

EPF

Content

1.0

1.0 M4

General - Add Stakeholder role to BUP

140019

2006-07-14

nor

P2

PC

REOP

EPF

Content

1.0

1.0 M4

General - Navigation Map

138781

2006-06-14

maj

P2

All

RESO

EPF

Content

1.0

1.0 M4

General - Collaborative Practices for OpenUP must be spec...

138784

Mon 14:33

maj

P2

All

RESO

EPF

Content

1.0

1.0 M4

General - Need content for Focus principle

138786

2006-06-28

maj

P2

PC

RESO

EPF

Content

1.0

1.0 M4

General - Need content for Evolve principle

138787

2006-06-21

maj

P2

All

RESO

EPF

Content

1.0

1.0 M4

General - Need content for Balance principle

140714

2006-06-19

maj

P2

PC

RESO

EPF

Content

1.0

1.0 M4

General - Write text for Delivery Process and Capability ...

146442

2006-06-29

maj

P2

PC

RESO

EPF

Content

1.0

1.0 M4

General - All disciplines: No discipline text

146497

2006-06-19

nor

P2

PC

RESO

EPF

Content

1.0

1.0 M4

General - Concept: Core Principles - broken links

147082

2006-06-14

maj

P2

All

RESO

EPF

Content

1.0

1.0 M4

General - Remove name-referencing text from Brief Descrip...

150707

2006-07-14

maj

P3

PC

RESO

EPF

Content

1.0

1.0 M4

General - Usability of OpenUP/Basic tree-browser

146449

2006-08-08

nor

P3

PC

RESO

EPF

Content

1.0

1.0 M5

General - Guidance: Copyright

151282

2006-07-20

maj

P3

PC

RESO

EPF

Content

1.0

1.0 M5

General - Hyperlink problems on Intro page

Requires content creation for October

146452

2006-07-14

nor

P3

PC

NEW

EPF

Content

2.0

---

General - add new Guidance: What's New in OpenUP

146450

2006-06-12

nor

P3

PC

NEW

EPF

Content

1.0

1.0 M5

General - Guidance: What's New in Base Concepts - update ...

150767

2006-07-17

maj

P2

PC

NEW

EPF

Content

1.0

1.0 M5

General - Create Getting Started Supporting Material

150768

2006-07-31

maj

P2

All

NEW

EPF

Content

1.0

1.0 M5

General - Create Overview

147135

2006-06-20

nor

P3

PC

ASSI

EPF

Content

unspe

---

General - OpenUP White papers explaining core concepts ar...

152354

12:17:11

maj

P3

All

NEW

EPF

Content

1.0

---

Re-architecting and Re-positioning OpenUP

Probably not a General or Overarching issues bug

146458

2006-06-12

nor

P3

PC

NEW

EPF

Document

1.0

---

General - Style guidelines - update content

145669

2006-06-14

enh

P3

PC

ASSI

EPF

Document

unspe

---

General - Improve Guidelines for Referencing Tasks

145670

2006-06-14

enh

P3

PC

ASSI

EPF

Document

unspe

---

General - Improve Guidelines for Writing Guidances in Plu...

I have no idea what these are about…

154144

Wed 15:15

maj

P2

PC

NEW

EPF

Content

1.0

---

General - Many steps still selected in Delivery Process t...

150771

2006-07-17

nor

P3

All

NEW

EPF

Content

1.0

1.0 M5

General - Policy for Work Product Kind must be established

For a successful telecon on Friday what I really would like to do is simply keep the call topic restricted to bug fixing, who will take what. So at the beginning of the call I will ask for volunteers to accept defects from the “Trivial Issues” and “Requires Review” categories. It would be lovely if all of these could be resolved, verified and closed within the next two weeks.

If time remains, for the second part of the call I would like to get commitment on proceeding with creating introductory and user guide content for October (Intro/getting started, user guide to core principles, and  Per’s re-architecting bug). I regard these issues as critical because they influence how OpenUP shall be perceived and positioned.

Looking forward to a productive call tomorrow and to soon be able to say general and overarching issues are complete.

Best regards,

Steve

Back to the top