RE: [epf-dev] How to access the OpenUP Wiki

Thanks for this feedback Peter.

Some of the issues you stumbled onto result from the way _javascript_ is used in in the published website with RMC or EPF and the way browser-based HTML editors work. These editors use _javascript_ as well and editing text that is running _javascript_ using _javascript_ causes instability. They way that the HTML editor tries to deal with these issues is by stripping the stuff that will run when the page loads.

An example is the onload event of the body element:

_onload_="createSectionLinks('div', 'sectionHeading', './../../../images/'); createStepLinks('div', 'stepHeading');

This code is removed from the page before loading into the edit area in IE. I noticed that for some reason with FireFox this code is not removed and that causes empty pages. I have a patch that solves this, code was added to remove conflicting _javascript_ before it is loaded by the HTML editor component. Problably also a better approach as these HTML editors do not know how OpenUP pages are constructed, what should be removed, what not.

The fact that the page cannot run _javascript_ in edit mode also explains that in edit mode sections are not collapsible. These sections are made collapsible in a nice transparent way using _javascript_ and CSS but in edit mode this functionality cannot be made available.

I think with this patch I can also bring more advanced features in HTML edit mode without causing instability. I’m not sure if it will offer good indentation but to make it even easier the new patch uses HTML tidy so that on save and checkin indentation is taken care of. Maybe it will offer preview functionality as well, now the only way to preview is to save changes, but this is not really a preview as it only allows to rollback all changes with undo checkout.

Switching between HTML and RTE mode is taken care of as well with the new patch as this functionality was disabled because of the _javascript_ issues.

Compare HTML changes and not only text changes is part of the new patch release as well. The patch solves the version count problem as well.

I propose to install this patch when we clean-up the Wiki.

Best Regards,
Onno