RE: [epf-dev] How to access the OpenUP Wiki

Thanks to Onno and Scott for joining the call this morning.
We had a good discussion about the scope of the Wiki and what future direction this and related technology can take, however, we did not make any progress on how to conduct the OpenUP online review as we had no content developers in the meeting.  We would therefore like to propose to add this topic to the agenda of the F2F meeting this week.

Here again the plan from an earlier we would like to get agreement on:

We would like to propose the following plan on how to proceed:
  • EPF Committer and contributor familiarize themselves with the Wiki technology by signing up and playing with it.
  • We schedule a call in which people discuss their experience with the technology and ask questions (to Onno :-).
  • In the same call we define a process on how to use the Wiki with the public, how to harvest feedback, assign responsibilities (e.g. discipline owners harvest from their disciplines), when and how generate Bugzilla's, when to upload new versions of OpenUP to the Wiki, etc.
  • We write up an introduction page for the public wiki experiment explaining the scope and communicating the usage model to be posted in the Wiki as well as EPF homepage.
  • We clean-up the Wiki, upload the latest OpenUP version, and announce the Wiki experiment to the public
<<<<<<<<<<<<<

We also observed that people signed up for a Wiki account, but did not actually use it, i.e. did not make any changes.  Everyone can see that by looking at the Version count number in the user list.  They are like Xbox Live achievement points.  The more you have the cooler you are.

Please, try to spend just a few minutes editing pages, submitting comments as well as reviewing the change logs to assess how you would work with it as a reviewer as well as how you would work with it as a content developer who would either reply to submitter and/or harvest changes/content.

Thanks and best regards,
Peter Haumer.

PETER HAUMER, Dr. rer. nat.
Rational Method Composer | Eclipse Process Framework
Rational Software | IBM Software Group
Tel.: +1 408 863-8716

Jim Ruehlin/Irvine/IBM@IBMUS
Sent by: epf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

08/07/2006 08:27

Please respond to
Eclipse Process Framework Project Developers List <epf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

epf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
RE: [epf-dev] How to access the OpenUP Wiki

The Wiki’s purpose is threefold (at least as currently identified):

1.        Gather feedback more powerfully than a mechanism such as email. Authors can attach comments to a page, but also add/modify the page directly. Actually changing content to describe an idea is more powerful than just describing the idea. Email only provides the later.
2.        Identify process patterns. Patterns are generally not discovered by discrete descriptions. They emerge by abstracting common elements from specific examples. Often those examples don’t explicitly describe those abstractions. A Wiki can make patterns more apparent by showing them “in use” with commentary and context. Code “smell” is an example of this, where users can’t quite explain how they know some code is bad, but they can give examples, build on top of existing issues, talk around and over the problem, etc.
3.        Empower practitioners to create content without the need to learn Composer or to worry much about metamodels and such. Process engineers can take these Wiki enhancements and add them to the process through Composer.

- Jim

Jim Ruehlin, IBM Rational
RUP Content Developer
Eclipse Process Framework (EPF) Committer
email:   jruehlin@xxxxxxxxxx
phone:  760.505.3232
fax:      949.369.0720