RE: [epf-dev] How to access the OpenUP Wiki

The Wiki’s purpose is threefold (at least as currently identified):

  1. Gather feedback more powerfully than a mechanism such as email. Authors can attach comments to a page, but also add/modify the page directly. Actually changing content to describe an idea is more powerful than just describing the idea. Email only provides the later.
  2. Identify process patterns. Patterns are generally not discovered by discrete descriptions. They emerge by abstracting common elements from specific examples. Often those examples don’t explicitly describe those abstractions. A Wiki can make patterns more apparent by showing them “in use” with commentary and context. Code “smell” is an example of this, where users can’t quite explain how they know some code is bad, but they can give examples, build on top of existing issues, talk around and over the problem, etc.
  3. Empower practitioners to create content without the need to learn Composer or to worry much about metamodels and such. Process engineers can take these Wiki enhancements and add them to the process through Composer.

- Jim

Jim Ruehlin, IBM Rational

RUP Content Developer

Eclipse Process Framework (EPF) Committer

email:   jruehlin@xxxxxxxxxx

phone:  760.505.3232

fax:      949.369.0720