[epf-dev] Review and Strategy for Design, visual and non-visual

hiho,

I’d like to try out something of an e-review of a few design elements in the OpenUP/Basic process.  The Development package has a sub-package visual_modeling so that the process can be published with and without the notion of visual modeling.  These elements to be reviewed exclude the visual modeling concept.  This brings up an interesting mental exercise as a UML geek tries to answer the question “disregarding representation, what is involved in designing a system?”

The elements I would like to review are:

Task: Design Solution

            Work Product: Design

Guideline: Design

I want to make sure we are all reviewing the very latest version of these and that we are reviewing them without the visual modeling stuff.  I have attached a Word document into which I pasted the three elements as published.  These are the very latest ones in CVS and they were published with a configuration that excluded the visual_modeling content.  Please provide me feedback on these elements in the next few days.

With respect to content location in OpenUP/Basic there is a notion that the tasks will have a small number of distinct steps that have very active “do this” descriptions.  Extra detail on techniques to “do this” can be placed in a Guideline.  Furthermore neither the steps nor the guideline should try to convince the reader that something is important or try to take the place of training.

Some things to keep in mind are: visual modeling with respect to the design is separated out, user-interface design is also separated out, and Refactoring is currently just a Concept and a Guideline referenced here and there.  Each of these aspects is fodder for the strategy part of this feedback elicitation.

My goal is to get some feedback on this design content before we move into the visual and UI stuff (Jim Ruehlin and Scott Ambler have also been providing good content for this package).  In addition to reviewing the actual content, please feel free to remark on the strategy that will be followed moving ahead (described below).

Mixing in Visual Modeling

Based on the original donation of content from IBM, additional steps were added to this task in the package for visual modeling.  Those steps are bold in context below.

1)       Understand requirement details

2)       Identify logical classes to provide behavior

3)       Identify design elements

4)       Design Components

5)       Determine how elements collaborate to realize the scenario

6)       Create Use-Cases Realizations

7)       Refine design decisions

8)       Design internals (for large or complex elements)

9)       Communicate the design

Having covered a range of design concepts in the existing steps, I am tempted to drop these three steps and just add one step before “Communicate the design”.  Possibly just something like “Model the Design”

At this moment, there is Guidance in the visual_modeling sub-package for Design Components and Use-Case Realizations.  In the Architecture package, there is a Concept on Visual Modeling.  I am planning to add an overall Guideline on Designing Visually that will give some detail to how visual modeling applies to each of the steps of the Design Solution task.

Soooo, does anyone have any opinion that we should keep the three visual modeling steps?  Or definitely just do the one step?  Is there anything missing that should be a step?  Given that the Guideline would discuss how modeling applies to the various existing steps, does anyone have any “don’t forget <this-issue>” thoughts?

UI as its own task with both design and implementation elements

Based on the original donation of content, there is a separate task called “Prototype the User Interface”.  That task involves producing a design and implementation of the user interface.

How do people feel about the user interface being excluded from Design the Solution?  How do people feel about the design and implementation being put in one task?  Should the UI be treated like visual modeling (i.e. an aspect that can be folded into existing tasks and work products with its own guidelines and in its own easily excludable package)?

Refactoring as Guidance or a Task

The original donated content had a Concept and a Guideline for Refactoring.  It has been suggested that Refactoring warrants an explicit task.

How do people feel about having a task for Refactoring?  Or should it be a step (amongst already too many steps) in the Design Solution task?  Or should it just stay as a Concept plus a Guideline?

Thanks in advance to anyone that can take some time to look through this content and provide commentary.  And – as always – the whole team working together on OpenUP/Basic content would be happy with additional people volunteering to author some material in any area of the process.