Re: [epf-dev] Core Concept Review Telecon Proposed Agenda

All,

I have significant heartburn associated with changing

From To
Collaboration collaborate
Iterate Evolve
Architecture Focus
requirements management, Balance

Now, I do not have a problem with the change of word as such, but with the very large broadening of the scope of each principle as discussed in the Vancouver meeting.
  • Collaborate => Good
  • Evolve => I think this is a good change. So, it is e.g. not only about iterate within a project, but also about "iterating in the small" by first producing a 10%, then 25%, 50%, 80%, and 100% completion of any work product. This widening of scope is OK, as long as it deals with how you approach your work, in the small or in the large.
  • Focus => I think this is the one I have the biggest heartburn with if it is Focus without any more narrow context, which is what I got from last weeks meeting. This cannot be about "Focus on doing your job", "Focus your eyes on the monitor", "Focus on doing the right thing", since this principles then becomes completely meaningless.... If you would qualify Focus by clarifying (in the 1-sentence description) that it is about "focus on the key aspects of the key work products" or similar, I think it is fine. This allows us to say "Focus on the most essential work products" <i.e. streamline your process>, "Focus on the key aspects of your design" <i.e. on the architecture>, and so on.
  • Balance => I have the same concern as with Focus, needs to be more specific than for everything. No, it is not about "Balance how many people you have of different nationalities on your team" <eventhough that may be a great idea>, or "Balance your skills on the team" <another great idea>. I want to narrow the scope to "Balance between sometimes competing user needs" or similar.

I found that the simple model Philippe presented to represent any software development process was extremely useful. I really like it. I probably bastardize it as I describe it below, but in it's most simple form, a process consists of "4 buckets"
  • Resources (that do the work), represented by Teams, and architects, developers, analysts, ...
  • Work (that produces the 'things"), represented by work item lists, tasks, etc.
  • "Things", represented by code, designs, test specifications, etc.
  • "Intent". indicating what user wants, represented by Vision, Use Cases, Requirements, etc.

Philippe said that the people that wrote a paper on the above found that all processes can be expressed using the above 4 buckets.

Now, i really like the thought of coupling the 4 principles to these 4 'buckets'

- Collaborate articulates the key guding principle for resources on an OpenUP project
- Evolve captures how we perform the Work in an OpenUp project. Iterate in the small, iterative in the large
- Focus is crucial for how we deal with all the Things in a project. Focus on architecture, streamline the process, ....
- Balance is how we deal with the many often competing intents.

I think there is a beauty in the above, and I think this narrowing of scope is crucial, or it just becomes empty words...

OK, time for me to balance my workload, focus on going home, and evolve my thoughts about what to do tonight, so I can collaborate with my wife. Wow, the process I use for drving home must be OpenUP ....

Per Kroll
STSM, Manager Methods: RUP / RMC
Project Lead: Eclipse Process Framework
Rational Software, IBM Corp
408-342-3815

"Steve Adolph" <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: epf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

05/25/2006 10:15 AM

Please respond to
Eclipse Process Framework Project Developers List <epf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

<epf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
[epf-dev] Core Concept Review Telecon Proposed Agenda

OpenUP Core Concepts Review Conference Call Agenda:

Good day, here is a very simple agenda for our conference call tomorrow to “check-in” on the OpenUP core concepts and the description of the practices. The call is scheduled for 8:00am PDT.
Toll-free dial-in:               1-877-421-0025
Toll dial-in:                       1-770-615-1242

Participant passcode:        876927

1)     Is there agreement for the OpenUP four core concepts? During the Vancouver workshop we changed the OpenUP core concepts:

From To
Collaboration collaborate
Iterate Evolve
Architecture Focus
requirements management, Balance

2)     Solicitation of comments regarding write-up of practices for Core concepts:
a.      Collaborate:
b.     Evolve
c.      Focus
d.     Balance