Re: [epf-dev] Architectural mechanisms - a bit confusing as it stands ?

My fellow freaks ;-)

Sigurd - this is a good point. I agree with you.

I *have* used the term "architecture mechanisms" for many years and been very comfortable with it. Peter Eeles (Rational) wrote a really good paper on this very subject a few years ago which makes it pretty clear.

Equally, I acknowledge that others don't use this terminology but deal with similar (if not the same) concepts.

I agree with your viewpoint Sigurd - I see analysis "mechanisms" and design "mechanisms" as aspects of architecture mechanisms - and I agree that the overuse of the "m" word can phase newcomers into thinking that they are different things. So there seems to be a good case for considering a change.

I am inclined to think (IMHO) that the term architecture mechanism is an established and understood concept, well supported by existing documentary materials and practitioners. I agree that the terms "analysis mechanism," "design mechanism," and "implementation mechanism" are potentially confusing. I agree with Sigurd that a clearer view is that we can represent a mechanism at different levels of fidelity at different times, depending on how much work we have done. These levels are analysis, design and implementation.

But the essential point that Sigurd makes and I share is that we are talking about the refinement of a single thing: the architecture mechanism.

Finally - I don't think that this is rocking the boat at all. I think it is consistent with the intent of authors of this concept in RUP. I think that we're just tidying up the vocabulary a bit.

cheers

Mark

Mark Dickson
SAE Practice