RE: [epf-dev] Overarching considerations (was: Status from 3/30 BUPcall with authors)

At 02:11 PM 4/4/2006, you wrote:

Hi Folks,

My $.02:

Glossary: I think in the majority of cases this is a must to ensure everyone is speaking the same language. I don’t think there will be too much pushback by including it as an optional artifact, to be included depending upon the knowledge of the team with the application domain. Where to put it, RM domain?

Glossary is an important work product, and making it a highly recommended optional artifact makes sense. My advice is to capture both business and technical terms in it.

GUI architecture: defer to the experts 8-)

Interface requirements: absolutely essential in my humble opinion, but could easily be a section of the supporting requirements (since they are constraints).

Business Rules: hmmm. I think Use Case and supporting requirements should be able to capture the business rules.

Capturing business rules in use cases is generally seen as a mistake by a lot of people. I suggest that you keep them in their own artifact such as a BR spec and then reference them from other work products.

Data Modeling: defer to the experts.

Physical modeling is likely the most important thing here. For app development few people are logical modeling these days, although for DW development they are.

Deployment: I think we should include this in BUP, timing will depend upon priorities and available time.

Yep.  Why build the system if you're not going to deploy it?

- Scott

Cheers,
Chris