RE: [epf-dev] BUP Fundamental Concepts and CollaborativePrinciplesProposal

Henry Petroski has made the convincing case that all things we make evolve over time. Something is built, it’s used, it works as well as it does but it also fails in some way, and then the thing is modified to address the failure. In other words, “Form follows failure.” For me, BUP is a way to formalize and accelerate that process. Iterative development is a way to get feedback on the “failure” before spending time and money on finishing something that won’t meet user’s needs.

I think the evolution metaphor is powerful. The product adapts as the needs – the environment – are revealed or change around the product. We evolve software as much as we build it.

- Jim

Jim Ruehlin, IBM Rational

RUP Content Developer

Eclipse Process Framework (EPF) Committer

email:   jruehlin@xxxxxxxxxx

phone:  760.505.3232

fax:      949.369.0720