Re: [epf-dev] BUP Fundamental Concepts and Collaborative Principles Proposal

EPF Composer gives you the same freedom of creating many different kind of lifecycle model.  However, BUP (which is supposed to be only one method plug-in out of many in EPF) was intended to be an exemplary "UP" process with its characteristic four phases that have been published widely and are recognized with their current names.  Still, I agree with Ana and Per that the lifecycle should not be the first thing the BUP audience should see when starting up BUP, but a summary of it key principles and best practices.

Thanks and best regards,
Peter Haumer.

Rational Software | IBM Software Group
PETER HAUMER, Dr. rer. nat.
RUP Development, Cupertino, CA
Tel/Fax: +1 408 863-8716

Donald Firesmith <dgf@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: epf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

03/30/2006 11:40

Please respond to
Eclipse Process Framework Project Developers List <epf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Eclipse Process Framework Project Developers List <epf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [epf-dev] BUP Fundamental Concepts and Collaborative Principles        Proposal

In the OPEN Process Framework, Development Cycle and Life Cycle are
method components of type Stage.  One can use method engineering to
construct a method that is waterfall.  One can also construct a method
that is iterative, incremental, parallel, and time-boxed.  Different
endeavors need different development and life cycles.  We therefore do
NOT mandate a specific development cycle, but rather allow the process
engineer to produce one that is appropriate for the endeavor.
Don Firesmith
OPFRO