Re: [epf-dev] BUP Fundamental Concepts and Collaborative Principles Proposal

In the OPEN Process Framework, Development Cycle and Life Cycle are method components of type Stage. One can use method engineering to construct a method that is waterfall. One can also construct a method that is iterative, incremental, parallel, and time-boxed. Different endeavors need different development and life cycles. We therefore do NOT mandate a specific development cycle, but rather allow the process engineer to produce one that is appropriate for the endeavor.
Don Firesmith
OPFRO

Ana Valente Pereira wrote:

I like the pictures but you have other issue on Construction : you dont have feedback loops (stakeholders (parents) can´t change anything on what is going to be delivered and have to wait a lot for the first release... more than in a small project :-) ) ...

... but why do we have to focus on lifecycle?... we can create several delivery processes with different lifecycles... I thing that we should focus on the the essential characteristics of RUP , preserved in BUP: which include iterative development, use-cases and scenarios driving development and architecture-centric approach.

I use the attached picture for explaining iterative development to my teams ... each release is a little bit bigger and incorporates changes from previous releases (changes that don´t mess with the architecture)

... I don't have a better picture for the architecture and usage scenario but this one is only for showing the concept

Regards

Ana

Ricardo Balduino wrote:

I like the first sequence of pictures better.
But jokes may come from that particular sequence: an embryo is conceived and develops into a human being fetus... than a cat is delivered :-) I like the idea of keeping pictures of a cat though... the cat will not sue us because we used its picture :-)

Cheers.

Ricardo Balduino
Senior Software Engineer

IBM | RUP Team | EPF Committer
Phone: 1 (408) 863-5019 (TL: 560-5019)

www.ibm.com
www.eclipse.org/epf

*Bruce Macisaac/Cupertino/IBM@IBMUS*
Sent by: epf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

03/29/2006 05:33 PM
Please respond to
Eclipse Process Framework Project Developers List <epf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

To Eclipse Process Framework Project Developers List <epf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject Re: [epf-dev] BUP Fundamental Concepts and Collaborative Principles Proposal

The hump chart is ok, but might be fun to do something a bit different.

How about a graphic for Inception, Elaboration, Construction, and Transition like this:

Inception

Elaboration

Construction

Transition

This sends a few key messages - elaboration is not just design - it's about growing something. Construction may not be delivered stuff, but it's adding onto the essentials already built in elaboration.
Transition can contain multiple releases.

Ok - for this last I really wanted to show a person at different development stages, from baby to adult - but couldn't find one.

This could be put into a single diagram. This isn't quite what I mean, but it might generate some ideas.

Hope you find this at least an interesting discussion...
I think we could use an artist.
:^)

Bruce MacIsaac