[epf-dev] VBSE, DSDM & EPF

Barry
It was great to meet you at the EPF session in Cupertino last week. I said I'd drop you a line to follow up on some of the things that were discussed at the meeting.
Firstly, I was very interested to hear what you had to say around Value Based Software Engineering. I think  that there is a great deal of common ground between VBSE and DSDM. I think it's good that we agreed to co-ordinate our contributions to EPF. At the session, we all agreed that we should propose a Stakeholder role for inclusion in core BUP and I volunteered to write a short scoping paper in support of this. I will get this paper to you by the end of next week for your comment prior to sending it in.
In the meantime, I have raised a bugzilla to act as a marker for the proposal. I noticed that Scott Ambler has already offered a definition of Stakeholder on his Agile Modeling site that is virtually identical to the concept we discussed (http://www.agilemodeling.com/essays/activeStakeholderParticipation.htm) so I referenced the web page it the bugzilla entry. Scott's definition gives me even more confidence that we've got the scope right and that including this in core BUP is the right thing to do. As we discussed at the session, I think BUP should be explicitly collaborative and agile (as opposed to implicitly).

If my notes are accurate, we also signed up to some further activities.
1. A full DSDM plug-in for EPF
2. A Value Based Software Engineering plug-in for EPF
3. A DSDM "business" plug-in for EPF
The first item is the internal DSDM project I mentioned (re-architecting DSDM into SPEM/UMA for deployment via Composer). The second is (I assume) what you are proposing to develop for EPF. The third item is what I originally had in mind as the DSDM "donation" to EPF; effectively a subset of DSDM dealing with business stakeholder roles, products and tasks. I would be very happy to collaborate with you and your team on this if your willing.
Finally (for now), can you direct me to some recommended reading on VBSE please? I could just Google it I suppose but I'd prefer your guidance. I have also cc'd Barry Fazackerley (DSDM Chairman) on this note. I have already spoken to Barry and suggested that he gets in touch with you about wider collaboration on VBSE/DSDM. I hope that's OK.
I'll be back in touch soon,
kind regards
Mark
Mark Dickson
SAE Practice
m 0780 1917480
w www.xansa.com
e mark.dickson@xxxxxxxxx

Whilst this email has been checked for all known viruses, recipients should undertake their own virus checking as Xansa will not accept any liability whatsoever.

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and protected by client privilege. It is solely for the use of the intended recipient.
Please delete it and notify the sender if you have received it in
error. Unauthorised use is prohibited.

Any opinions expressed in this email are those of the individual and not
necessarily the organisation.
Xansa, Registered Office: 420 Thames Valley Park Drive,
Thames Valley Park, Reading, RG6 1PU, UK.
Registered in England No.1000954.
t +44 (0)8702 416181
w www.xansa.com

Back to the top