[epf-dev] Method Engineering and adding a third method component repository to the EPF toolset

Currently, there are just two repositories: The BUP repository (based strongly on RUP) donated by IBM Rationale and the Agile repository being developed by members of the Agile community. Much of the philosophy around these two repositories seems to be based on providing a /minimalistic /set of method components that can be selected, modified, and possibly extended. Thus, the discussion around whether or not to add domain modeling to the BUP repository.

At the OPEN Process Framework Repository Organization, we have taken the opposite approach. We believe that it is easier to not include existing method components that are not needed than it is to create new high-quality ones from scratch, and it is easier to tailor out parts of method components than it is to add missing parts, especially for many projects that do not have (or have access to) trained methodologists/process engineers. Just like it is better to have a large Java class library with powerful classes than a small one with minimalistic classes, we have decided to include as many reasonable method components in the OPF repository as practical, included as much contents per method component as practical, and covered as many disciplines and work products as practical. The idea is to use method engineering to build a project-specific method by selecting, tailoring, and integrating method components rather than taking a generic method and tailoring it. Therefore, we recommend that the epf include a large repository based on this philosophy and provide tools that makes it very easy to select appropriate method components from the repository, tailor them (primarily by deletion/subclassing), and integration. We would like to see epf expanded to include this kind of repository and the development plan extended to include the OPFRO repository in order to better support this type of method engineering.

Sincerely,
Don Firesmith'
Founding Chair, OPFRO
www.opfro.org