Re: [emft-dev] Proposal for Temporality Component

+1 with comments

Technical comment:
By forcing model developers to subclass a framework type (Temporality) your framework becomes invasive to the model. This might not be desirable for all models/model developers. With my CDO framework I started the model integration the same way (model invasive) and all users came quickly back with the question if there was a way to be more transparent. If you are interested in the solution I found for this problem we can discuss that (preferringly on the newsgroup). May be we are able to factor out a common framework to integrate orthogonal functions ionto EMF models.

Conceptual comment/question:
How do you plan to handle object graphs (as opposed to single instances and their attributes)? I guess your Temporality class will offer API to query object state of other versions of that object. Does this API return this object state as instances of EObject? If so, what will access to the reference features deliver? In other words, will it be possible to navigate a whole object graph like it had been at any time since creation of that graph? Or will it only be possible to query old attribute values?

Regards,
Eike Stepper
----
http://wiki.eclipse.org/?title=CDO
http://wiki.eclipse.org/?title=Net4j

Ed Merks schrieb:
Extended EMF Community,

Jean-Claude Cote recently announced his intent to work on a Temporality
component for supporting automatic instance versioning.   His proposal in
on Eclipse's wiki:

   http://wiki.eclipse.org/Temporality

I request the community's approval to create this new component as part of
the EMFT subproject with Jean-Claude as component lead.  Please reply with
+1or -1 on this thread.  Obviously I recommend you give a +1.  All EMF and
EMFT committers are eligible to vote, so please take a moment to do so.

Ed Merks/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
mailto: merks@xxxxxxxxxx
905-413-3265  (t/l 313)