From: emfindex-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:emfindex-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jan Köhnlein
Sent: Freitag, 2. Oktober 2009 15:14
To: EMFIndex developers mailing list
Subject: [emfindex-dev] API Changes

Hi all,

yesterday, I committed a number of changes that also affect the API.
This is what I did

*API vs reference implementation*
I moved everything apart form the api and base source folders into a
separate plug-in in order to better distinguish between API and
reference implementation. This should make it easier to add other
implementations.
Query SPI ha been moved to the reference implementation, too, as it is
considered an implementation detail of the reference impl.
In Xtext, we have to separately index EObjects and EReferences. We
have also developed a special (pluggable) builder for that purpose.
That made me move the ResourceIndexer to the reference implementation,
too.

*API cleanup*
I removed some classes / parts that were not referenced, i.e.
TransactionException. We should try to avoid putting things in the API
we don't need yet. Please complain if you need one of these classes.
I also completely removed the event API. In Xtext, we're currently
using workspace resource listeners (an eclipse builder) and we are
happy with these coarse-grained events. We can add it later on once we
have clear requirements.

*Descriptor*
The EObjectDescriptor now has a convenience method createProxy() which
allows to create an EMF proxy.
UserData is now a String to String map. Serializable sounds like a
pretty bad idea to me, as the EFactory converts it to/from String
anyway. Anybody who needs this should take care about string
conversion themselves.

*Index Updater*
The most serious changes are in the IndexUpdater API. We decided to
switch to a less OO-like interface here, which should better suit the
needs of SAP.

Feel free to comment.

Best regards
Jan

--
Dr. Jan Köhnlein
Senior Software Architekt

Telefon: +49 (0) 431 / 5606-337
Mobile: +49 (0) 151 / 17396687
Telefax: +49 (0) 431 / 5606-339

http://www.itemis.de
jan.koehnlein@xxxxxxxxx

itemis AG
Niederlassung Kiel
Schauenburgerstr. 116
24118 Kiel
http://www.itemis.de/

Rechtlicher Hinweis:
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Dortmund HRB 20621
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Lünen
Vorstand: Wolfgang Neuhaus, Jens Wagener, Dr. Georg Pietrek
Aufsichtsrat: Prof. Dr. Burkhard Igel (Vorsitzender), Stephan
Grollmann, Michael Neuhaus