Re: [emfindex-dev] Contributing the QVT Declarative Model Registry to EMF Index

Hi Ed,

find my answers inline.

Am 07.08.2009 um 18:24 schrieb Ed Willink:

Hi Jan

So to be honest, I currently see very little overlap between your meta-model registry and EMF Index, but it's likely I missed something.

I think we agree. This was rather my opinion when I tried to understand EMF Index before starting to formulate an EMF Registry proposal. Invited Sven amongst others to be a mentor. Sven felt that there was an overlap, so I pursued communication with the EMF Index project.

If you prefer, I will resurrect attempts to start an EMF Registry project.

Yes, I'd recommend that.

However since locating models (EMF Registry) and exploiting them (EMF Index) is so complementary, users might appreciate it if we could combine the two functionalities in the one project. EMF Index will surely benefit from a more flexible approach to defining model location resolution.

For the EMF Index, there is no problem locating models as models are merely identified by their resource URI. We have an API for traversing resources given their URIs and a store API to feed the data into the index. The resource URIs are provided from the outside, e.g. from a project builder.

In the index, the resource URI is the primary key of a model, as the fragment URI is for EObjects, etc. These keys should be absolute, context-free and unique. This is an important consequence of EMFs RESTful persistence architecture.

Your problem is a different one: Your models do not define their short names themselves. They can be referred to in different ways from different contexts, and, even worse, the same name could point to a different model in a different context. As this might be exactly the reason for the design of the registry, it spoils the idea of context- freeness and uniqueness.

In addition, the two staged name<->model mapping does not seem to be an EMF concept. It looks like originating from the mapping of the QVTD spec to an EMF implementation. So it might be better kept within the projects that need this functionality.

If nothing else, the name EMF Index appears to cover both functionalities.

I'd disagree here. IMHO, the term index does not suggest that it offers additional, contextual information on the indexed artifacts. Rather than that it allows to find things easier. It's an optimization thing, not a storage for decoration data.

I suspect that if each project were to evolve independently the current clear functionlity distinction might blur, so a single project could be better at avoiding duplicate inconsistent GUIs and persistence.

For above reasons, I don't expect more overlaps in the future. Where do you see GUI overlap?

With best regards
Jan

  Regards

     Ed Willink

Dr. Jan Köhnlein
Senior Software Architekt

Telefon: +49 (0) 431 / 5606-337
Mobile: +49 (0) 151 / 17396687
Telefax: +49 (0) 431 / 5606-339

http://www.itemis.de
jan.koehnlein@xxxxxxxxx

itemis AG
Niederlassung Kiel
Schauenburgerstr. 116
24118 Kiel
http://www.itemis.de/

Rechtlicher Hinweis:
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Dortmund HRB 20621
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Lünen
Vorstand: Wolfgang Neuhaus, Jens Wagener, Dr. Georg Pietrek
Aufsichtsrat: Prof. Dr. Burkhard Igel (Vorsitzender), Stephan Grollmann, Michael Neuhaus

Back to the top